Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) Tax Services Manager
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60664
Grant Thornton is collaborative, entrepreneurial and on the move. As part of a dynamic global organization of 47,000 people serving clients in more than 140 countries, we have the agility and focus it takes to be a leader.,
Mergers and Acquisitions Tax Manager,**
Grant Thornton’s responsive, partner-led Tax service teams help dynamic companies navigate complexity and grow with insightful, practical tax advice. In addition to tax professionals in our offices across the United States, our Washington National Tax Office provides deep technical knowledge and responsive support in local, state, federal and international tax. Our tax services include: compliance, human capital services, federal tax services, international tax services, state and local tax services, private wealth services, tax reporting and advisory, partnership taxation, not-for-profit tax, and mergers & acquisition tax services.
Grant Thornton’s Mergers and Acquisitions Tax Services team is a highly responsive, experienced group of tax professionals dedicated to assisting our dynamic clients in managing risk and identifying opportunities before, during and after major life cycle events including significant acquisitions, dispositions, capital raises, restructurings and distributions. Recognizing that our services are a critical component of our clients M&A strategy, we work collaboratively with our clients and colleagues, both domestically and abroad. With the support of our broad tax services and advisory offerings, such as transaction advisory services, valuation services and our international network, we are uniquely positioned to anticipate and respond to complex transaction related issues with agility and distinctive client service.
The M&A Tax Services Manager will be responsible for the delivery of a full range of M&A Tax services to various clients in a wide variety of industries. Responsibilities will include: interacting closely with the firm’s clients and internal engagement teams to provide innovative tax planning and consulting services in a highly responsive transactional environment that will drive value throughout a client’s investment decision; assist in developing and managing a high functioning team of professionals that work closely with and collaborate among senior transaction professionals of the firm; the candidate will also be expected to participate in developing new relationships that will drive personal and firm growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the efforts of multiple client service teams on client engagements where the candidate will assist with the planning and execution of M&A tax consulting projects in a wide variety of industries within a highly diverse client base that includes financial and strategic sponsors.
- Lead engagement teams in conducting buy-side and sell-side tax due diligence, as well as developing tax-efficient acquisition and divestment structures. Work clients and outside legal counsel to review tax and financial models, as well as transaction documents.
- Serve as engagement team lead and first point of review for attribute profiling/modeling engagements (i.e., Section 382 ownership shift and limitations analyses, consolidated stock basis studies, earnings and profits analyses, transaction cost analyses).
- Serve as a point of client contact during the M&A/engagement lifecycle for purposes of providing on-call tax-related transaction consultative services, as well as maintaining active communication to manage expectations, ensure client satisfaction and manage engagements efficiently through close.
- The candidate will work with senior professionals in marketing, selling, designing, and implementing tax-planning strategies to new and existing firm clients.
- Develop relationships with the firm’s senior client serving professionals in different lines of business to assist in driving firm growth by introducing the breadth of the services the firm has to offer its existing and new clients.
- Assist in developing and maintaining new business and client relationships, both with existing Firm clients and new clients.
- Manage, develop, train, and mentor M&A tax staff on tax projects and assess their performance by providing timely feedback at the end of each engagement and for purposes of year-end reviews.
- Work effectively with our Washington National M&A tax services team in providing state-of-the art tax thought leadership.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and licensed CPA or JD. Masters in Taxation/LLM in Taxation preferred.
- A minimum of five to seven years of progressive federal tax consulting experience, as well as some amount of business entity tax compliance; experience in public accounting or a combination of corporate and public accounting experience a plus.
- Outstanding, proven experience in working effectively in a team environment, including all aspects of staff development, which may include team members in other offices.
- Technical expertise in transaction tax and related matters, including significant experience conducting buy and sell-side tax due diligence projects, including diligence on pass-through entities; design and development of transaction structures using both corporate and pass-through entities; assessment of corporate tax attributes including historical tax basis, earnings and profits, and limitations applicable to net operating losses and tax credits, post-transaction planning including legal entity rationalization and application of consolidated return regulations.
- Superior analytical, technical, and tax accounting/technology skills, coupled with excellent written, interpersonal and presentation skills, as well as a proven ability to adapt to different situations, identify issues and work with specialists in other tax technical areas to resolve issues.
- Computer expertise including knowledge of tax software and technology, including spreadsheet modeling.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed and travel domestically to various client sites.
Grant Thornton LLP promotes a nationally recognized culture of health and offers an extensive array of benefits to meet individual lifestyles. For a complete list of benefits, please visitwww.gt.com.
Founded in Chicago in 1924, Grant Thornton LLP (Grant Thornton) is the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd., one of the world’s leading organizations of independent audit, tax and advisory firms. Grant Thornton has revenues in excess of $1.6 billion and operates 59 offices across the U.S., with more than 590 partners and 8,500 employees in the U.S. and at our Shared Services Center in Bangalore, India.
Grant Thornton works with a broad range of publicly- and privately-held companies, government agencies, financial institutions, and civic and religious organizations. Core industries served include consumer and industrial products, financial services, not-for-profit, private equity, and technology. Grant Thornton focuses on serving dynamic organizations that pursue growth holistically – whether through revenue improvement, leadership, mission fulfillment or innovation.
It is Grant Thornton’s policy to promote equal employment opportunities. All personnel decisions, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits and termination, are made without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Title: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) Tax Services Manager
Requisition ID: 042521