Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60664
- Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.
- About the Unit
For over a century, the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics has been recognized as one of the world’s leading centers for economic research and education. The Department’s faculty have received numerous awards, including more Nobel Prize laureates and John Bates Clark medalists in economics than any other university. Among our faculty are many members of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the Econometric Society.
- Job Family
Responsible for all aspects of research projects and research facilities. Plans and conducts clinical and non-clinical research; facilitates and monitors daily activities of clinical trials or research projects. Directs engineering and technical support activities to develop and maintain tools and computational methods needed to gather and analyze data.
- Career Track and Job Level
Oversees all aspects of management, scientific technological development, and operations for major research projects or research facilities. Ensures compliance of research activities with institutional, state, and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates. Writes articles, reports and manuscripts. Presents research findings at meetings and/or conferences.
P1: Performs routine assignments in the entry level to a professional job progression. Typically requires a college or university degree or the equivalent work experience that provides knowledge and exposure to fundamental theories, principles and concepts. Develops competence by performing structured work assignments. Uses existing procedures to solve routine or standard problems. Receives instruction, guidance and direction from others.
- Role Impact
The job performs routine assignments related to scientific research projects. Ensures compliance of research activities with institutional, state, and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Writes articles, reports and manuscripts. Assists in drafting presentations on research findings.
1) Maintains technical and administrative support for a research project., 2) Analyzes and maintains data and/or specimens. Conducts literature reviews. Assists with preparation of reports, manuscripts and other documents., 3) Installs, sets up and performs experiments; interacting with students and other laboratory staff under the direction of the principal investigator., 4) Maintains recruiting and scheduling research subjects; assisting with developing or amending study protocols; assisting with developing data collection tools; assisting with building databases; and providing general administrative support. Has general awareness in research techniques or methods, regulatory policies and procedures, and relevant scientific field, 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) The Research Specialist will work directly under the supervision of Dr. Alessandra González, Senior Research Associate at the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics, to make important contributions to the design and implementation of several research projects (which lie at the intersection of gender, development, and organizations), and assist in the analysis of behavioral experiments. This research combines both empirical and fieldwork components
2) The Research Specialist will create codes and analyze data for interview transcripts, along with other qualitative and quantitative data, write codes and protocols to both ensure data cleanliness and detect errors, and to support statistical and econometrics analysis and replication of data
3) In addition to cleaning data and programming, the research specialist will contribute to writing, proofreading and fact-checking papers, as well as preparing tables and figures for papers and presentations
4) The position may involve travel to Saudi Arabia for original data collection, including interviews and conducting focus groups
5) The position would provide ideal training for a recent graduate (with an Undergraduate or Master’s degree) who is interested in going on to do a PhD, as it offers a chance to gain practical experience prior to beginning more formal instruction
6) This position will require a commitment of at least 1 year. The preferred start date is June 1, 2019.
1) Excellent organizational, quantitative, and analytical skills with high-level of accuracy and sharp attention to detail
2) Willing to learn new software and computational tools, such as survey software Qualtrics
3) Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication
4) A quick, self-learner with ability to initiate, organize, prioritize and complete multiple, high-level projects; meet tight deadlines; and work effectively with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment
5) Ability to use appropriate resources and follow an issue through to resolution
6) Demonstrated sound judgment, ability to solve problems and make effective decisions
7) Willingness to travel to Saudi Arabia for data collection
8) Fluency in Arabic language is a plus
- Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through < 2 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, Sociology or a field relevant to the qualitative research being conducted by start date
2) Advanced degree in a field relevant to the research being conducted
1) Previous international experience conducting original qualitative fieldwork preferred. Interest or experience in behavioral or experimental research (including IRB protocols, pre-registry of experiments, conducting power calculations, etc.)
2) A background in statistical analysis and willingness to learn new programs and methods is vital
3) The ideal candidate must have exceptionally strong background in qualitative research and international fieldwork
4) Knowledge of qualitative coding methodology
5) Knowledge coding software using programs such as Atlas t.i., NVivo, Dedoose, MAXQDA or other software
6) Familiarity with statistical programming languages such as Stata, R, Python, and Latex
2) A cover letter that briefly outlines: (a) your background and career ambitions, (b) your experience in conducting or assisting with research projects, © your experience and familiarity (giving short examples of interview analysis conducted by code you’ve written) with any relevant programming languages, (d) the names (with email addresses) of any professors for whom you have worked as a research assistant in the past (along with a brief description of that role) who will be willing to provide a brief letter of recommendation upon request
3) Transcript (unofficial will be accepted but prefer official transcripts) of any undergraduate and postgraduate studies
4) An example of a research paper and/or code that you have written for a class or research project
NOTE: When applying, all required documents **MUST**be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
- FLSA Status
- Pay Frequency
- Pay Grade
Depends on Qualifications
- Scheduled Weekly Hours
- Benefits Eligible
- Drug Test Required