Natural Gas Technician
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Savanna, IL 61074
Install, remove, maintain, troubleshoot and repair natural gas plastic and metal mains, services, natural gas and electric metering and associated equipment to insure safe, accurate and reliable delivery of service to members.
Work as a liaison between various Cooperative departments to promote good public relations, high service standards, and member satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform all duties so as to insure personal safety as well as the safety of other employees and the public.
• Fabricate, install, and maintain various gas system facilities such as distribution regulator stations, large volume meter sets, odorizer equipment, gas meter assemblies, etc.
• Install, remove, replace and repair natural gas mains services, pressure regulators meters, valves, and other related gas distribution facilities, including the installation of plastic mains and services using fusion and mechanical fittings.
• Tap and stop both plastic and steel mains and services.
• Properly wrap metal mains and services.
• Cut, thread and assemble screwed joint pipe and fittings.
• Install mechanical joints and repair sleeves, repair clamps, or pipe (on gas mains and services).
• Sets-up. operates and taps live main lines, and install branch and service connections using high pressure tapping equipment.
• Operate power tools and excavating and ditching equipment as required.
• Install, maintain, and replace various types of metering and regulating equipment
• Perform various leak detections and cathodic protection surveys using gas detection equipment.
• Respond to blowing gas situations in a safe and timely manner.
• Respond to and perform leak calls such as inside and outside gas odors and carbon monoxide complaints in a safe and prompt manner.
• Install, test for, and maintain cathodic protection devices on gas mains and services, have knowledge of all cathodic protection devices such as test stations, insulators, and anodes, have a general knowledge of krik cells and rectifiers.
• Inspect contract gas construction as required according to all local, State and Federal codes.
• Patrol and inspect gas distribution lines and equipment.
• Locate underground facilities using pipe/cable-locating equipment when needed.
• Perform incidental duties such as changing of pressure charts, checking of odorizers, other duties that are similar, related or incidental to this position.
• Perform such clerical work as may be needed to provide and maintain the necessary reports and records required by the Coop.
• All other gas maintenance or construction duties as assigned which includes hands-on and computer work as necessary.
• Basic knowledge of appliance and relighting of appliances.
• Install, remove and inspect gas meters and related piping.
• Convert appliances to natural gas operation.
• Troubleshoot and make minor repairs on gas appliances at customer premises.
• Collect delinquent accounts; disconnect and reconnect service to customers as required.
• Maintain neat and orderly investigation orders, vehicle inspection reports, time sheets, and other required paperwork.
• Investigate high bill complaints.
• Keep daily records as to time spent and parts used on various jobs as required for account records; assist in ordering and storing of necessary repair parts.
• Investigate suspected meter tampering and diversion calls.
• Perform gas odorant tests.
• Communicate with the public and members in a professional and courteous manner.
• Must report to work fit for duty and free from the effects of drug & alcohol abuse.
• Incidental to the responsibilities listed, operate a Coop owned vehicle/equipment, operate various air, hydraulic, and electric power tools, and provide for the maintenance of all equipment assigned to him/her.
• Understands and applies all safety rules especially those in Jo-Carroll’s Employee Safety Manual.
• Performs other duties pertaining to the cooperative within the limits of individual qualifications so assigned by management.