Manager, Laboratory Services - Full Time - 42384
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60603
Under the direction of the Chief Nursing Officer, manages delivery of laboratory services for inpatients, outpatients, and research subjects.
The Manager Laboratory Services will consistently demonstrate support of the SRAlab statement of Mission and Philosophy by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Manager Laboratory Services will demonstrate SRAlab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and SRAlab Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, & Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
Quality of Care and Service Management
- Implements and maintains a quality management system, which allows for consistent evaluation and improvement of services in relation to physician and patient care requirements. Documents all significant activities and takes corrective action as necessary.
- Implements and maintains ongoing quality data collection systems, which enable monitoring of service levels. Maintains knowledge and utilizes appropriate resources to provide educational, technical, or informational services as needed to self, staff or patients.
- Implements systems for improvement of laboratory services provided in relation to physician and patient care requirements. Takes corrective action as necessary.
- Incorporates results of QM audits in the improvement of services and enhancement of patient care consistent with hospital policy.
- Ensures that the environment is clean and attractive, safe, and free from hazards.
- Coordinates and manages scheduling on a shift.
- Anticipates staffing needs and makes necessary arrangements for coverage.
- Assumes responsibility for efficient and effective use of time and effort of all staff, including agency and ancillary personnel.
- Reviews and verifies the accuracy of results, quality control records and quality assurance parameters.
- Investigates and resolves patient, technical and workflow problems related to their area of responsibility.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, local, JCAHO, CAP, CLIA, multi-disciplinary, hospital regulations, policies and procedures.
- Facilitates a multi-disciplinary and collaborative approach to patient care and interdepartmental problem solving/service delivery.
- Develops and maintains relationships with all customers and suppliers.
- Assures that service standards are implemented and evaluated.
- Creates an environment of high morale and motivated professionals.
- Orients, trains and assists in the evaluation of laboratory personnel according to the guidelines established by Human Resources and Laboratory Management.
- Assists level I manager in meeting hospital objectives and goals.
- Assumes delegated responsibilities in the absence of the Level I Manager.
- Maintains RVU and productivity systems.
- Maintains department Service Master.
- Participates in planning and maintenance of the laboratory information system (LlS).
- Assists in preparation and monitoring of Expense/Revenue Budgets.
- Conducts variance analysis; identifies and explains trends in productivity, volume, acuity, or service.
- Implements programs to monitor and control costs in relation to volume and pre-established income targets. Maintains inventory control.
- Participates in product evaluation consistent with Hospital Materials Management Program.
- Participates in preparation of new program proposals.
- Reconciles statistics and adheres to revenue management standards.
- Maintains productivity standards; organizes and coordinates staff variable in relation to volume, service and financial goals.
- Participates in the negotiation of pricing/terms for supplies and maintenance agreements.
- Assures that research activities performed in the section are in compliance with Hospital Research policies.
- Assists in preparation and monitoring of section capital budget.
- Participates in preparation of major equipment purchase proposals, selection, and documents for equipment acquisition. Participates in the negotiation process.
- Participates in facility changes and planning.
- Establishes and executes personal development objectives as part of annual objective setting process which compliments current position.
- Identifies and pursues activities/development opportunities which are appropriate for position and personal development objectives, e.g.: Participation/leadership in relevant professional groups associations; continuing education as participant, presenter, planner.
- Assesses and meets staff development needs.
- Adheres to patient first management standards on leadership, communication and visibility.
- Coordinates critical situations involving patients, staff, and visitors and consults with manager or administrator for guidance as needed (e.g., complaints, discipline, the press, etc.).
- Facilitates effective interdepartmental communication of incidents with appropriate personnel (Manager, Administrator, Medical Staff, etc.).
- Promotes philosophy and objectives of the Hospital, Division and Department.
- Identifies and communicates key issues and trends to Chief Nursing Officer.
- Adheres to hospital and department policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the Point of Care Testing Program. Controls user access to point of care devices and adds new users into the system. Performs linearity testing, introduces new strip lots and control solution lots when indicated.
- Performs complex testing in one or more sections of the laboratory in accordance with prescribed procedures. Exercises independent judgment in the performance of technical responsibilities. Develops and maintains a higher level of expertise in the specific areas of responsibility.
- Performs, records and maintains quality control, quality assurance and patient information as required by the laboratory and accrediting agencies, eg., CAP, JCAHO.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment and service records. Performs advanced troubleshooting and repair. Calls for outside service when necessary. Is familiar with contractual terms of maintenance agreements.
- Participates in creating, revising and updating procedures as assigned.
- Participates in and presents laboratory meetings and continuing education programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Investigates and corrects proficiency testing deficiencies with appropriate monitoring.
- Works with Managers and Medical Directors in implementing goals, objectives, budgets and new programs.
- Consults with research PIs on study design and protocols for studies that require laboratory services.
- Works with Managers and Medical Directors on resolution of technical and operational issues.
- Supports Clinical Quality Management activities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience; prefer 3 years of relevant clinical laboratory management experience.
- MT certified through recognized Board of Registry, ASCP or equivalent.
- Clinical/professional expertise.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Problem solving and decision-making skills, ability to appropriately confront and resolve issues.
- Ability to motivate individuals and groups.
- Ability to plan and organize the activities of others.
Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
SRAlab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.