Academic Advisor - Sauk's Holistic Advising and Retention Project (S.H.A.R.P.)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Dixon, IL 61021
Sauk Valley Community College seeks innovative individual for a full-time twelve month opening as an Academic Advisor for Sauk’s Holistic Advising and Retention Project. The advisor will provide advising, support services to S.H.A.R.P. participants, and is responsible for implementing the mission and goals of the student services and academic advising program. Leads and implements college-wide retention activities.
1. Provide academic advising to S.H.A.R. P. students with or without an academic major; explain policies, procedures, and program requirements; assist students in selecting educational and career goals. Document and maintain records of student contacts.
2. Consult with S.H.A.R.P. students regarding academic problems or concerns and assist students in obtaining support to meet these specific needs.
3. Provide current information to students on university/college articulation issues.
4. Function as a collector, disseminator and interpreter of educational and career materials.
5. Monitor academic and graduation progress, provide needs assessments, and implement proactive intervention strategies.
6. Participate in student-related research and evaluation of the effectiveness of S.H.A.R.P.
7. Assist with Academic advising services as needed.
8. Assist with outreach services to market and recruit S.H.A.R.P. participants.
9. Plan, lead and implement college-wide retention strategies such as welcome/success week, coaching/mentoring program, workshops.
Bachelor’s degree in education or related field with three years experience in an educational setting or equivalent education and experience; computer skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills required. Master’s degree in counseling, education, or related field; community college experience and knowledge of Banner software strongly preferred. Experience with student retention programs and tools preferred. Must demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy.
SVCC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and is interested in receiving applications from individuals who would enhance the diversity of the College. Sauk Valley Community College is an institution of higher education that provides quality learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of its students and communities.