Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago Heights, IL 60411
Posting Details Posting Number
Status of Position
The Kids@College Instructor(s) will provide developmentally appropriate activities for the STEAM/STEM and other educational opportunities for children (ages 5 to 17) at Prairie State College. Candidate will facilitate all designated curriculum while displaying creativity, energy, and enthusiasm. Class assignments will vary in duration and schedule.
Candidates are asked to include in the cover letter the type of course and age ranges they desire to teach. Kids@College provides year-round courses to provide enrichment to prepare our community’s youth and teens for the 21st century and beyond.
Reports directly to the Manager of Continuing Education and Workforce Development.
1. Supervision of Students: Supervise assigned groups at all times. Students must never be left unattended, allowed to leave an activity or the building without an escort.
2. Instruct Classes: Candidate will instruct either or all of Art, Science, Engineering, Technology, and Math activities for the specific age group. This includes but is not limited to following related curriculum and also building additional curriculum or activities as needed. Instructor will need to prepare materials, teach related subject content, maintain records and a clean classroom.
3. Rules and Policies: Instructors will follow all PSC rules, policies, and procedures for Kids@College instruction. Keep accurate attendance records and maintain a safe and stimulating environment. Staff are required to adhere to FERPA laws of privacy.
4. Classroom Management: Provide a welcoming and positive learning environment for all children in the course.
5. Availability: Please indicate in the cover letter what days or week (s) you would like to instruct along with topic of interest and associated age range.
6. Upon interview you will be required to bring a sample lesson plan suitable to the age and course topic you desire to teach.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Employee is subject to indoor and outside work with children for designated afternoon program activities. Physical activities include/involve stooping reaching, sitting, standing, walking, pushing lifting, hearing, talking, using hands, and exerting up to 30 lbs. for equipment used for Kids@College activities.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field and a Certification in Elementary Education (Type 03) or Middle/Secondary Education or Professional Licenses (PEL) or
Educator Licenses with Stipulations (ELS).
2. Training in child development, child care and safety, and the ability to develop and teach various subjects.
3. Experience with working with school age children and willingness to learn new tasks and functions.
4. Ability to communicate effectively written and orally with staff, parents and participants.
5. Maintain a great work ethic, patience and participate enthusiastically in all Kids@College activities in planning and leadership roles.
6. Current Certification in First Aid and/or CPR.
1.Bachelor’s degree in Education and Certification Elementary and Middle/Secondary with
2. Experience in training and development of K-12 curriculum.
3. Experience in teaching STEAM/STEM curriculum.
4. Instructional experience at a youth summer program for various age groups.
Anticipated Work Hours and Days
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applications must be submitted electronically through the Prairie State College website.