Neonatal Nurse Practitioner - (Lurie-Prentice)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60611
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner – (Lurie-Prentice)
Advanced Practice Providers
General Summary of Position Responsibility:
The Advanced Practice Nurse/Neonatal Nurse Practitioner / LIP works within the multidisciplinary clinical team to provide individualized patient care and patient/family education. S/he promotes evidenced based practice by conducting or participating in research and academic activities. S/he provides support to the nursing and leadership staff in order to promote the advancement of the nursing profession at Lurie Children’s and outreach hospitals; and in the community-at-large. The role is unique to the Advanced Practice Nurses specialty in Neonatology and in accordance with individual credentialing and privileging through the Medical Staff Office.
Essential Job Functions:
Area Specific Job Accountabilities:
- Provides expert clinical care, education, consultation, advocacy research, leadership and mentorship.
- Manages the care of critically ill neonates both medical and surgical who are premature; as well as newborns up to 1 year of age. This may include infants with respiratory distress, pulmonary hypertension, neurologic complications, gastrointestinal diseases, and renal abnormalities either at Lurie Children’s Hospital or one of the outreach hospitals special care nurseries. Care of ECMO patients at Lurie Children’s
- Attends high risk deliveries at outreach hospitals with neonatology back-up.
- Orders, performs and interprets diagnostic and therapeutic tests and procedures.
- Prescribes pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions, and performs other therapeutic or corrective measures to treat illness and improve health status.
- Promotes the advancement of the nursing profession at Lurie Children’s and the community-at-large. This may include publication, participation in professional organizations and providing educational support to the nursing staff; preceptors neonatal nurse practitioner students.
- Collaborates and coordinates care with medical team to deliver evidenced-based care and establish best practices in clinical care.
- Participates in research design, implementation and interpretation.
- Meets the Medical Staffs Allied Health Practitioners core measures of performance related to patient care, medical knowledge, practice based learning and improvement, interpersonal communication skills, professionalism, and system based practice.
- Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s degree or higher from an accredited school of nursing appropriate for certification as a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
- Minimum of two (2) years of neonatal nursing experience required, preferably in a Level 111 NICU.
- Licensure in the State of Illinois as an APN is required.
- Experience as delineated in clinical privileges through credentialing by the Medical Staff Office.
- Basic Life Support certification required. Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification, Neonatal Advanced Life Support required.
- Certification through NCC (National Certification Corporation) as Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, basic computer skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
Relocation Assistance Provided
General Understanding and Nature of the Position Description
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job classification. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.