Field Service Representative I
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Springfield, IL 62704
Job Title: Field Service Representative I
Req ID: 17521
Job Category: Service/Technical Services
At STERIS, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions around the globe.
The Field Service Technician provides preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, repair, calibration and installation support on various mechanical, electro-mechanical, and electronic units. The Technician Interacts with customers on a daily basis and completes associated administrative tasks as required. Think of this as an electrical-mechanical-plumber-Customer Service Technician all rolled into one!
Every day, something special happens at STERIS. What will YOU help us do next?
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance required on STERIS and related product lines. This includes: disassembling, replacing, or repairing defective parts; reassembling as required; troubleshooting, adjusting/calibrating ready for use by using standard and specialized tools by using technical manuals etc.
- Troubleshoot, repair or refurbish standard and special purpose equipment and systems components.
- Perform administrative duties as assigned to ensure effective planning, utilization, and required paperwork completion. This includes, but is not limited to: communicating schedule changes to the Customer Operations Department daily; computer synchronization daily; complete service reports and activities within two business days after completing a customer visit, maintain on-site Customer Service Logs/Total Maintenance Care books according to STERIS procedures; and maintain tools and parts inventory to prescribed levels as required by Service Manager
- Develop and maintain effective, communicative relationships with customers, managers. Communicate activities to customers include scheduling of Preventive Maintenance and estimated time of arrival for unscheduled work. Utilize provided product and industry knowledge to assure customer’s expectations of service are exceeded.
- Respond to routine customer and sales questions regarding equipment operation and performance or direct questions straight to more experienced colleagues.
- Maintains courteous, smart and professional demeanor when working with customers, contractors, management and colleagues. Utilize customer protocols when entering and exiting facilities. Follows all STERIS and Customer Health & Safety protocols and procedures.
- Learn about STERIS solutions for our customers to enhance sales and growth in the field and pass on leads to management and sales where possible. Closely network with all FSR II and FSR III in the team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This list intends to give an overview of the duties expected from a candidate for this position. Tasks may vary and are not limited to the above items.
Duties – cont’d
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associate’s Degree
Associate’s degree in Electronics, mechanical or similar degree, plus one year of related experience, or a High School Diploma/GED with a minimum of five years of experience
- Excellent interpersonal and Customer communication skills
- Strong technical and troubleshooting skills
- Proficiency in computers and Windows software
- General knowledge of the following: principles and methods of sterilization, steam generators, operating lights and tables, industrial controls, central processing systems, and modular transport systems.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Flexibility to handle multiple and changing priorities Ability to work flexible hours, sometimes outside “normal business hours” and travel as required The Scientific Division requires general knowledge of GMPs (Good Manufacturing Practices) and GLPs (Good Laboratory Practices) Valid and clean driver’s license
- Position requires routine walking, bending, kneeling, and squatting, sitting, standing, reaching, and twisting.
- Must perform work from floor level to above shoulder height. Must routinely lift/lower/carry 1 to 35 pounds (daily), occasionally lift/lower 36 to 49 pounds (8 per month), and lift/lower 50 to 100+ pounds periodically (2 per year). Must climb ladders and/or scaffolds and work above floor height. Must crouch, stoop or squat to work inside or under equipment, or move through low headroom spaces.
- Position requires routine pushing, pulling, grasping and manual dexterity in the use of hands, arms and shoulders. Walking great lengths at a time and standing for extended periods of time. Able to work in tight spaces.
- Push/pull wheeled transporters and/or palletized product using up to approximately 50 lbs of force. Work in and around hospital personnel, sensitive medical equipment and patients
- Must travel to customer sites that include, but are not limited to: hospitals, operating rooms, laboratories, surgi-centers, pharmaceutical production facilities, animal research centers, and possibly morgues. May be subject to customer drug testing, customer specific safety training, or customer SOP training.
- Flexible scheduling may be required to accommodate customer needs. This may include working outside of an 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM workday and weekends. Required to live within 50 miles of the center of the territory. Commute within assigned territory is compensable after the first 30 minutes (or 25 miles) of drive time in the morning and the last 30 minutes (or 25 miles) of drive time in the evening.
- The expectation is that all FSR I’s pass an assessment for promotion to FSR II by no later than their 4th annual review with STERIS. Continued employment with STERIS in an FSR capacity is dependent upon successful completion of the assessment and promotion to FSR II.
STERIS is a $3B, publicly traded (NYSE: STE) organization with approximately 12,000 associates worldwide and operates in more than 100 countries.
If you need assistance completing the application process, please call 1 (440) 392.7047. This contact information is for accommodation inquiries only and cannot be used to check application status.
STERIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and the use of affirmative action programs to ensure that persons are recruited, hired, trained, transferred and promoted in all job groups regardless of race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, and any other category protected by federal, state or local law. We are not only committed to this policy by our status as a federal government contractor, but also we are strongly bound by the principle of equal employment opportunity.
The full affirmative action program, absent the data metrics required by * 60-741.44(k), shall be available to all employees and applicants for employment for inspection upon request. The program may be obtained at your location’s HR Office during normal business hours.
Nearest Major Market: Springfield
Job Segment: Maintenance, Medical, Customer Service Representative, Electrical, Outside Sales, Manufacturing, Healthcare, Customer Service, Engineering, Sales
STERIS Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or religion or other legally protected status.