Sr. Food Technologist, Scientist
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
SUMMARY: Responsible for the early innovation process developing culinary gold standards during early concept development. Will transfer culinary prototypes to another team member or continue to develop culinary prototypes in the lab, pilot plant scaling and factory testing for final commercialization of the finished products. Develop and maintain detailed specifications and documentation providing updates to projects. Project manage individual projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Culinary gold standard development of early “fuzzy end” ideas for sauce, vinegar, peppers and Asian sauces.
• Formulate and execute development of sauce concepts into “Bench" prototypes which can further be scaled for Pilot Plant and Plant Trials.
• Able to cost optimize existing and newly developed formulas.
• Evaluate new ingredients and Suppliers as potential substitutes within our current formulations.
• Develop and maintain detailed documentation of ongoing and future projects and provide bi-weekly reviews on the status of projects and expenses.
• Must be able to work independently within multiple priorities, projects and timelines exercising ingenuity, initiative and judgment in the approach to the design, planning and execution of projects.
• Develop and maintain product specifications including Shelf Life and handling procedures.
• Create and maintain product specifications, formulations, processes and testing procedures.
• Must participate in Pilot Plant Scale up and Plant Trials as needed.
• Order and maintain ingredient and equipment supplies for the R&D lab
• Organize and manage Sensory evaluations to ensure that products and samples meet specific requirements.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• A Bachelor’s Food Science degree or equivalent is required.
• Passion for “food” and culinary development of new food ideas, trends and creating inspiring prototypes for new product ideas. Culinary experience is considered a plus.
• A proven track record in developing early innovation prototypes.
• 5-10 years Food Product Development experience with a strong innovation track record is required.
• Project management experience and a strong technical foods science knowledge of ingredient functionality and interactions is desired.
• Excellent communication skills
• Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with individuals and groups at all levels of the organization
• Good knowledge of Sensory practices.
• Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Knowledge of Hot Fill processes a minimum requirement; knowledge of sauces and processes preferred; condiment experience along with a thorough knowledge of Low Acid Canned Foods, Acidified and Non-Acidified foods will be a plus.
• Strong Computer Literacy skills.
• Ability to travel up to 30%.
• Willingness and flexibility to adapt to changing business needs and deadlines.
• Ability to exhibit a professional business-like appearance and demeanor.