Sr Electrical Project Engineer - Product Safety
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
Intertek, a leading provider of ATIC (Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification) Services, is looking for a Project Engineer to join our Electrical team in Arlington Heights, IL.
The electrical team provides assurance, testing, inspection and certification for a variety of electric products, including appliances, consumer electronics, lighting, medical devices, information communications technology, HVACR, industrial, and energy transmission and distribution. Our dedicated professionals help ensure the quality and safety of electrical products used by people throughout the world.
Role & Responsibilities
The Sr. Project Engineer is responsible for independently performing testing and evaluation on a variety of products to the provisions of U.S., Canadian and other International product performance standards; writing reports; and communicating with clients. This position is also responsible for providing local expertise in one or more product categories and mentoring and training less senior technical personnel.
• Independently, conduct on and off site evaluation of products to determine compliance with applicable standard(s). The Sr. Project Engineer is responsible for more complex projects. To do this, Sr. Project Engineer must:
o Read and determine applicability of national codes and standards clauses for the EUT (equipment under test);
o Read and understand schematics and manufacturing instructions;
o Validate the project scope and sample applicability;
o Under scope of the project, identify and locate test instruments and equipment required for testing;
o Follow established test plan;
o Set up and operate EUT; perform and document simple repairs on EUT as needed;
o Conduct thorough construction review; document results;
o Perform testing of products in accordance with standards. Core tests include, but are not limited to: rating, leakage current, dielectric, temperature, pressure, stability, mechanical hazard, flammability, abnormal and fault insurance, rain, radiation, sound, and laser.
• Train and mentor less senior technical staff.
• Provide local technical expertise and maintain reviewer status in one or more product categories.
• Proactively develop and communicate test procedures, new test fixtures and report shells for local office.
• Investigate technical complaints for the local office and support accreditations efforts by performing
technical audits locally.
• Demonstrate enough product and/or standards knowledge to be considered an expert in multiple product categories for the local office.
• Provide quotations for a large array of standards and complex projects and products.
• Actively represent Intertek by participating on standards/industry committees and/or associations.
• Perform preliminary design reviews (PDR) both on and off site.
• Perform field labeling jobs.
• Follow sample handling procedures, ensuring that sample is logged in and out of the system. Move equipment as needed through the facility. Properly package sample for shipment.
• Provide complex sales support such as giving presentations during client visits.
• Communicate project status and test results to client, sales personnel, and management throughout testing. Provide on-going support to clients as needed.
• Within policy guidelines, identify, properly document, and recommend engineering judgments.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, Electrical preferred
• 4-6 years directly related experience; prefer prior project management experience
• Demonstrated experience with U.S., Canadian, and other International product safety standards, i.e., ANSI, CSA, UL, EN, IEC, IES, CIE is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form
• Ability to deal with several abstract and concrete variables
• Ability to make technical decisions and engineering judgments independently within established parameters
• Excellent communication skills, in both verbal and written formats
• Excellent organization and time management skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Must be self-motivated and able to work independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
• Microsoft Office expertise
• Ability to travel as business needs dictate