Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Aurora, IL 60506
This position receives an hourly rate of pay and is assigned to work less than 1,000 hours from the employees start date to the employee’s anniversary date. Work hours can vary from week to week depending on staff availability and participant registration.
DIRECTLY REPORTS TO:
The Inclusion Specialist, Inclusion Manager & Member Agency Staff
RESPONSIBLE FOR DIRECTLY SUPERVISING:
To assist Member Agency’s staff in providing recreation programs for individuals with disabilities in their communities while promoting a safe and enjoyable recreation experience.
Sixteen years of age or older and be able to perform the Essential Duties & Responsibilities, Competencies and Physical Demands within the Working Conditions identified independently of others.
- Two or more years direct experience working with individuals with disabilities preferred.
Must demonstrate dependability, flexibility, promptness and punctuality.
- Display an attitude of enthusiasm and commitment in providing recreation opportunities for individuals with disabilities.
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate fully and learn new skills.
Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
Demonstrate a professional and positive attitude when working with member agency staff, parents, individuals with disabilities and FVSRA staff.
- Be safety conscious.
- Good oral and written communication skills are essential.
Willingness to obtain Handle with Care Certification when required.
Ability to engage in activities requiring physical exertion. Ability to perform required duties under stressful situations without supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively support and follow through with the assigned member agency’s policies and safety program.
Assist with the activity and any accommodations required for inclusive participation by the individual with a disability in the member agency recreation program.
- Communicate effectively with emergency service personnel, inclusion team members, participants, and families, member agency staff, and FVSRA staff.
- Demonstrate creativity, enthusiasm, and take initiative.
- Become actively involved in the program.
- Attend to the participants personal care needs (toileting, changing, feeding) if approved by the FVSRA Inclusion Manager and Inclusion Specialist.
Must check in with the Member Agency Staff prior to each program.
- Must submit bi-weekly reports for each participant being supported by FVSRA to Inclusion Specialist.
Responsible for reporting and submitting participant behavior report forms for any significant negative behaviors that occur during inclusion programs.
Attend all meetings, in-services, and trainings that are required by FVSRA or the member agency staff.
- Record and report hours worked on a bi-weekly basis.
- Must be able to understand the needs of persons with disabilities and adapt activities to enable participation.
Report any problems or concerns to the Inclusion Specialist or Inclusion Manager and the Member Agency Staff.
Implement behavior plans and inclusion plans when needed.
- Understand the inclusion process and work closely with the inclusion team to support individuals with disabilities in the most inclusive setting.
- Enforce safety rules and improve employee and public knowledge of the same by confronting and correcting unsafe behavior and conditions.
Immediately reports all accidents and unsafe conditions to the Member Agency Staff and Inclusion Specialist or Inclusion Manager.
- Cooperates and assists in the investigation of accidents.
- Attends all required safety program and in-service education meetings.
- Must be able to understand simple oral and written instructions related to his or her assignment and communicate those to Member Agency Staff.
Have transportation to travel to and from various work sites in the seven member agencies.
- Provide timely responses to phone calls, voicemails, and written materials, whether received by mail, facsimile, text, and e-mails, which are sent by FVSRA.
Have the ability to solve moderately complex problems arising while supporting the inclusion placement.
- Work efficiently and effectively under pressure such as emergencies and deadlines.
Treats public concerns with the utmost and courteous attention.
Perform other duties related to the Inclusion Companion when necessary, or duties in the best interest of the Association when requested by the Inclusion Specialist or Member Agency Staff.
Promotes and supports work teams and groups
Performs responsibilities dependably and accurately, fulfills promised actions
Focuses on the customer, willingly helps others and provides prompt service
Conveys trusts and inspires confidence
Deals with individuals, appreciates their differences, handles emotions and shows compassion for others
Recognizes the contributions of others and is conscious of own ability
Begins and follows through energetically with plans and tasks
Shares information, listens to what others are saying
Makes decisions and solves complex problems
The Inclusion Companion must, with or without reasonable accommodations, be able to perform the following functions:
- Gather, load, transport and set-up equipment and supplies for activities.
Supervise individuals, including at times the use of physical restraints.
- Physically assist individuals in wheelchairs by pushing, pulling or providing stabilization on unknown terrain.
- Physically transfer individuals from wheelchair to chair, into and out of vehicles, from pool deck into pool, in washroom facilities, etc.
- Active participation in programs.
- Lift and carry as much as 50 pounds for as long a distance as 300 feet.
The employee may be exposed to elements when driving to meetings or when assisting with outdoor functions. Most activities are performed indoors; these conditions include lighting and temperature.
JOB DESCRIPTION ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM:
I have received, reviewed and fully understand the job description for Inclusion Companion. I further understand that I am responsible for the satisfactory execution of the essential functions described therein, under any and all conditions as described.
Employee Signature Date