Director, Accounting Research, Planning and Policy
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60606
DescriptionGATX : Who are we?
We are known worldwide as a leader in leasing tr ansportation assets and control one of the largest railcar flee ts in the world. The key to our long-term growth and success is attracting and retaining the most talented people from around the world.
We seek individuals who are creative, intuitive, driven, intellectually curious and eager to join a dynamic organization where high-quality work, collaboration and dedication are deeply woven into the corporate culture.
How will you make an impact ?
Support the Controller in establishing the Company’s accounting policies and procedures, monitor changes to GAAP and related SEC financial reporting standards, and provide transaction support to GATX’s businesses.
What are your key activities?Oversee the establishment and ongoing maintenance of the Company’s accounting and financial reporting policies and procedures in accordance with U.S. GAAP. Work closely with business unit and corporate departments to ensure accounting policies are effective. Lead the Company’s technical accounting research and accounting memo authorship on various business matters including the preparation of technical accounting positions and interpretation of accounting policies for proposed transactions, strategic initiatives and complex accounting inquiries; Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders to understand specific facts and circumstances in determining the most appropriate accounting treatment. Support Accounting and Financial Reporting functions, ensuring the financial statements and disclosures are in conformity with U.S. GAAP. Responsible for proactive mo nitor ing and interpretation of new and proposed accounting standards, financial reporting and regulatory requirements to determine impact to the Company and help lead implementation efforts for relevant changes affecting the organization. Update Company poli cies, procedures as required, and lead training efforts as necessary. Represent GATX at the ELFA and Railcar Leasing coalition, and other industry groups as deemed appropriate, with respect to accounting matters. Special projects as assigned by the Controller related to accounting and financial reporting matters. What is required of you?
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance. CPA desired and MBA or Masters in Accounting, a plus.
- 8-10 years of relevant experience. Ideally a combination of Big 4 public accounting firm and multinational public company experience. Financial services/ leasing and some experience in interpreting and applying U.S. GAAP for complex transactions also desired.
- Expert knowledge in U.S. GAAP for various financial services products including, but not limited to, leases and leased equipment, loans, allowance for losses, equity investments, joint ventures, debt, stock, foreign currency-denominated transactions, consolidation, guarantees, warrants, and derivatives.
- Typical systems skills (Excel, Word, Power-point).
What are we looking for ?
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Strong writing skills (documentation of accounting opinions; policies/procedures).
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
Other things to note:
- Some extended hours during accounting close cycles; also as needed to support transactions during deal closings; and to meet project deadlines.
- Minimal travel.
GATX embraces diversity and we are proud to be an Equa l Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.Follow us on LinkedIn! – https://www.linkedin.com/company/gatx/
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/fr3tp63f6ktmkvz4