Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60604
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Collections Assistant
Job ID 3760
Location Lincoln Park Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
Reporting to the Coordinator of Collections and Scholarly Resources, the Collections Assistant manages physical materials as part of routine collection management, including damaged materials and donations. Assists with promotion and assessment of collections. Provides overall assistance to the smooth operations of the Collection Development department and library-wide collection management.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Serves as the main collections contact to Gobi, the library’s primary book ordering service.
- Responsibilities include updating liaison profiles in the Gobi book ordering system, manages liaison notification preferences, and trains all liaison librarians on how to use the Gobi.
- Manages and creates procedures associated with damaged and lost/missing materials including coordinating subject librarians’ review of damaged and lost or missing materials.
- Researches price and availability of replacements for lost materials and submits order requests to Acquisitions department.
- Oversees all aspects of the material donations process.
- This includes communicating with potential donors and sending acknowledgement letters for donors of materials.
- Coordinates all collections activities with Better World Books, a third-party bookseller, including selecting deaccessioned materials to be sent there and organizing shipments.
- Implements workflows and processes needed to facilitate collections projects as directed by the Coordinator of Collections and Scholarly Resources.
- Organizes shipments of de-selected last copy books held by DePaul in the I-Share system to the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign as part of the library’s involvement in CARLI’s last copy program.
- Updates and edits collection development policies in conjunction with the Coordinator of Collections & Scholarly Resources.
- Takes minutes at Liaison and Collection Steering Committee meetings.
- Writes blog posts about collections on a regular schedule.
- Collects information from liaison librarians and develops quarterly newsletters about library collections for liaisons to send out to faculty.
- Works with publishers and vendors as needed to retrieve reports, statistics, and other information from them.
- Maintains the Collection Development, Collections Steering Committee, and Liaisons Group wiki spaces as well as shared folders in the W: drive.
- Creates and manages internal and external library collections forms in Springshare and Qualtrics.
- Collects and organizes feedback in the forms from the DePaul community regarding resource trials.
- Presents collected feedback to the Collection Steering Committee to facilitate the decision-making process.
- Assists Coordinator of Collections and Scholarly Resources with assessment of collections, including gap analysis, comparison with other institutions, and analysis of circulation statistics.
- This includes producing visualizations pertaining to the gathered data.
- Serves on one or more library committees as designated to assist in promoting faculty and student awareness and use of library collections.
- Provides overall assistance to the smooth operations of the Collection Development department and library-wide collection management.
- Supervises student assistant, assigning and prioritizing tasks within the above areas of responsibility.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiarity with MS Office (Word, Excel).
- Previous library experience.
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies.
- Ability to interpret bibliographic data accurately.
- Ability to work in a collegial environment in order to provide excellent library services.
- Must be able to spend extended periods standing, sitting, kneeling, crouching, and bending.
- Routinely lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Visual acuity, hand-eye coordination and motor skills sufficient to use a computer, copy machine and other office equipment.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University’s mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Full Benefits – https://offices.depaul.edu/human-resources/benefits/Pages/default.aspx
Part-Time Benefits – https://offices.depaul.edu/human-resources/benefits/part-time/Pages/default.aspx
Required Background Check:
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/j7kxj76xfnq3w5g5