Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Springfield, IL 62707
The Upholsterer performs upholstery and trim completions on less complex patterns and prints. Cuts, sews, forms, and cements fabrics on items such as chairs, headliners, side panels, engine and propeller covers, and divans. Assists in accomplishing complex upholstery and trim interior work.
The Upholsterer is responsible for using sound judgment and technical aptitude to make decisions regarding upholstery and trim completions. Customer satisfaction hinges upon sound decisions and expedient action on the part of the Upholsterer. As customers are on site at the facilities, professional appearance and communication skills are required in order to create a positive and lasting professional relationship.
- Interprets simple patterns to plan and lay out less complex upholstery accessories for the aircraft.
- Cuts, sews, cements, and trims upholstery fabrics for drapery, divans, chairs, headliners, side panels, containers, and engine and propeller covers.
- Assists in covering flight control surfaces.
- Performs basic stripping operations of fabric from aircraft surfaces to prepare for remodeling and recovering.
- Cuts preform foam rubber, and covers it with sheeting or fabric covers.
- Cuts and installs carpeting by use of patterns.
- Assists in hand forming wet or dry leather to divans and chairs and in using heat to form vinyl materials.
- May sew routine seams and perform simple assemblies, and, under direction, perform more complex sewing operations.
- Documents all work accomplished (a.k.a. sign-off) in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
- Works fair share of overtime and travels to customer locations or other Garrett facilities as required.
- Responsible for knowing, understanding, following, promoting, and continuously improving company policies and procedures.
- Observes all safety, environmental, and general housekeeping rules and policies.
- May perform other duties as required by the department.