Claims Specialist - Environmental, Pollution & General Liabi
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
CHICAGO, IL 60664
Title: Claims Specialist – Environmental, Pollution & General Liability – Hartford Global Specialty U.S. Casualty
Location: United States-New York-New York
Other Locations: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Job Number: 1902636
This is a visible and important role within the newly created Harford Global Specialty (HGS) Claims Division. In this role as a Claims Specialist, you will be responsible for handling a caseload of primary and excess claims on integrated general liability/pollution liability policies, contractors pollution liability, and site-specific pollution liability policies. This will include claims associated with product liability and professional liability coverages. These claims typically involve complex fact patterns requiring analysis of contracts between parties to determine indemnity and contribution obligations and risk transfer opportunities. As these claims are often in litigation, experience handling litigated matters and managing defense counsel is required, as is prior experience handling both primary and excess policy coverages and claims.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
• Conducting investigations and analyzing and evaluating the information learned
• Making coverage determinations and communicating written position(s) to insureds and other required parties
• Within prescribed authority levels, setting appropriate expense and indemnity reserves and monitoring on a regular basis for any needed adjustment
• Presenting cases to management for expense or indemnity reserve authority above established authority levels
• Developing and implementing resolution strategies to achieve high quality outcomes
• Proactively managing litigation and counsel, inclusive of litigation planning and execution, budgeting and bill review
• Attending trials and mediations as necessary
• Contributing to broader claim and enterprise goals by participating in audits, projects and product development initiatives
• Preparing comprehensive reports and delivering presentations to senior leadership on case developments, policy issues, industry trends, etc.
• Working with business partners to evaluate and address claim trends and developments
• Addressing inquiries from agents and policyholders and providing superior customer service
• Bachelor’s degree required; law degree a plus
• Minimum of five years handling complex, litigated environmental and general liability matters
• Strong coverage acumen including ability to apply the terms and conditions found in manuscript policies
• Full command of issues and claims relative to bodily injury, property damage, environmental damage, professional liability and construction claims
• High level of discipline, results-oriented and able to focus on bottom line results
• Superior analytical ability and organizational skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent strategic thinking ability and execution skills
• Excellent negotiation and advanced technical claim handling skills, including knowledge of coverage and tort laws
• Strong ability to analyze coverage and liability issues, manage time limit demands and assess extra contractual exposures and other issues of complexity
• Ability to communicate thoughts clearly and concisely, and to influence and persuade others
• Superior interpersonal skills
• Ability to exceed expectations and influence others to do the same.
What else can you tell me?
This position can reside in any of our offices across the country. Remote work option may also be considered. Travel required up to 20%.
This position may be filled as a lower level depending on candidate qualifications and work experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
Job: P&C Claim Misc Supt Roles
Primary LocationUnited States-New York-New York
Other LocationsUnited States-Illinois-Chicago
Job LevelIndividual Contributor
Education LevelBachelor’s Degree (±16 years)
TravelYes, 20 % of the Time
PostingOct 14, 2019, 9:57:55 PM
Remote Worker OptionYes
The Hartford is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, ancestry or citizenship status, genetic information, pregnancy status or any other characteristic protected by law. The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace and is committed to building inclusion and leveraging diversity.