Lecturer, Master of Science in Threat and Response Management
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60290
Position Title: Lecturer, Emergency Management, Policy Making, Law and Ethics, Master of Science in Threat and Response Management
The Graham School of Continuing Liberal and Professional Studies at the University of Chicago is seeking qualified applicants to teach the course Emergency Management, Policy Making, Law and Ethics in our Master of Science in Threat and Response Management program in winter 2019.
The goal of this course is to ensure that students gain a fundamental understanding of:
– how threat and response management-related policies are developed in the United States;
– key legal principles and processes that are used to interpret those policies; and
– ethical considerations for emergency managers.
The course operates in an executive format and includes nine (9) hours of instruction offered over one three-day weekend each month. Courses meet for three consecutive months each quarter (27 instructional hours). In Winter 2019, the course will meet:
– January 10, 11, 12
– February 7, 8, 9
– March 7, 8, 9
– Develop syllabus including topics, learning objectives, reading assignments, and assessment plans
– Develop and execute in-class content (lectures, activities, simulations, tabletop exercises)
– Work with other instructors to ensure consistency across class sections
– Develop assignments: must minimally include a mid-term and final assignment and course participation grade.
– Grade assignments and return comments and grades to students via Canvas course site in timely manner (within 1 week for weekly assignments and within 10 days of submission for larger assignments).
– Attend all monthly in-person sessions (27 instructional hours per academic quarter) Hold monthly office hours to coincide with course schedule
Qualified applicants must have a graduate-level degree; a JD or PhD is preferred. Candidates with prior experience teaching and those with relevant practical experience are strongly preferred.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter describing relevant background and experience, a curriculum vitae or resume, and the names and contact information of at least two professional references.
Applicants should send their materials electronically to the Program Director, Master of Science in Threat and Response Management at
Reference Contact Info
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law.
Employer’s Job# 53749
Please visit job URL for more information about this opening and to view EOE statement.