Career Community Advisor
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60604
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Career Community Advisor
Job ID 3750
Location Loop Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
Reporting to the Director of Career Education, the Career Community Advisor is responsible for creating physical and virtual communities that educate our students on trends and issues in their chosen areas, provide knowledge that can help them achieve a competitive edge, generate employment opportunities for them, and directly connect them to trusted alumni / employers for information and mentorship. This position is responsible for one-on-one and group student advising, building and updating industry-specific digital resources, partnering with employer relations within their assigned career field, student-employer programming, networking events, and other related educational seminars or meetings. He/she also serves as expert within assigned career field, maintaining current information on recruiting practices, timelines, and industry trends.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Provide career advising as needed for all students interested in exploring or pursuing careers within assigned community via both individual and group services to facilitate career success.
- Advising hours will adjust based on demand.
- Create and present educational materials on a variety of career topics and collaborate with staff to create, customize, and execute student / alumni / faculty / employer networking events and panels.
- Provide timely advice, networking events, and career prep materials in accordance with the recruiting pattern, practice, and timeline for assigned career field(s).
- Advisors will also contribute to communications and produce regular newsletters for their community.
- Collaborate with Employer Engagement team to create a customized recruiting experience for targeted employers.
- Engage employers in student and alumni panels and educational programs.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of recruiting and career field trends by interacting with employers regularly and sharing with staff.
- Outreach with faculty in assigned liaison areas to ensure seamless and constant communication and two-way information sharing.
- Serve on various cross-functional teams to promote the vision and direction of the Career Center.
- Serve as a liaison to College departments as appropriate.
- Represent DePaul and the center in local and national professional associations and conferences in order to stay current with industry standards and changes, revise programs to reflect trends, and increase the center’s visibility among professionals in the field.
- Peforms other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three to five years experience in career development, recruitment/staffing, human resources, training and development, or comparable background.
- Knowledge of career and academic advising, assessment, marketing, program development and management are essential.
- Knowledge of and interest in career community industries, employment market, and recruitment practices.
- Experience in working with traditional age students as well as adults at various stages of career development.
- Knowledge of and a proven track record of relationship building, managing projects, and events are essential.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience working with hiring managers and/or recruiters.
- Supervise student interns or student peer career advisors.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Computer literacy, including MS Office – Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Functional Competency Expectations:
Advising & Counseling (Mastery)
- Foundational Competency Expectations:
Collaboration & Teamwork (Intermediate)
- Sustaining Competency Expectations:
Change Acumen (Basic)
- Strategic Competency Expectations:
Creativity & Innovative Thinking (Basic)
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
Flexible working hours including evening and weekends may sometimes be required. Travel between campuses required.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University’s mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Full Benefits – https://offices.depaul.edu/human-resources/benefits/Pages/default.aspx
Part-Time Benefits – https://offices.depaul.edu/human-resources/benefits/part-time/Pages/default.aspx
Required Background Check:
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/tmpvfbs2dq2fm3yw