Boiler Construction Design - Field Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60629
FieldCore, a GE company, is a new, independent industrial field services company that will deliver the highest standard of field services excellence and capabilities for GE and its customers. A GE company, FieldCore will bring together the field services expertise and people from both Granite Services and GE’s Power Services into one powerhouse. Driven by the values of safety, quality, and integrity, FieldCore will be built to deliver operational excellence for customers in the power generation, oil & gas, nuclear, and wind power markets.
We are recruiting to fill an opening for Boiler Construction Field Service Technical Advisors to support our installations, maintenance, and retrofit projects with identifying, planning and detailing work packages to safely and efficiently complete these scopes.
Some of the physical requirements of this position are traveling / field service job that requires you to be able to be away from home for extended periods of time, the ability to lift safely a minimum of 50 pounds, perform physical work-related activities, and wear personal safety protection equipment (PPE). Employees must be prepared to work in different shifts, as required, to safely complete the assignment.
The Construction Field Engineer is responsible for creating schedule driven design solutions required for on-site handling, lifting and installation of parts, components and plant assemblies for Construction Projects, ensuring the designs are implemented with utmost safety and the construction process flows efficiently. Construction Engineering is responsible for validating and ensuring existing structures are designed to withstand loads. The Construction Engineer will participate in projects from proposed conceptual design through contract execution, providing keen inputs to the development of construction work plans and developing selling points.
The Construction Projects range from $2M to $35M, are typically 2-6 months in length, and generally involve over 100,000 construction craft hours and include a construction management staff. Primary contacts include peer group, personnel within own department and personnel in other departments, requiring effective communication with others. Experienced in structural analysis and engineering operations within the construction industry. Performs tasks with a minimum level of supervision.
- Develops customized work packages, procedures and guidelines for erection, crane placement and movement for capacity and capability, while ensuring the integrity of design for the safety of workers and customer assets.
- Creates and validates execution work plan for tenders and projects. Works closely with tender team and project execution team to assure competitive offerings while meeting requirements related to safety, quality, schedule and code compliance. Validates changes to work plans during execution.
- Designs monorails, temporary supports and platforms. Creates associated models, drawings, instructions and procedures.
- Evaluates support structures to determine equipment removal and installation access points.
- Calculates loads and stresses on structures, investigating the strength to determine whether a structure can function safely.
- Develops procedures for heavy lifts.
- Makes recommendations for crane and lifting equipment selection and placement.
- Creates associated drawings, instructions and procedures.
- Works with Tender and Project teams to coordinate overall construction schedule.
- Handles technical questions from field and site personnel
- Bachelor Degree (Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering or related discipline) from an accredited college or university and 3 years of experience
- Professional Engineer (PE) designation preferred
- Successful completion of required training programs
- Previous experience working on Construction Projects
- Successful candidates will have a solid understanding of Structural Analysis and Engineering Operations within the Construction Industry.
- Previous experience applying Structural and Engineering elements to Boiler Construction Project preferred
- Familiarity with Structural Building Codes preferred
- Extensive travel to and from projects and various field assignments will be required with up to 50% travel
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Power Point, Word, Excel) and ability to learn company and site-specific computer applications
- Proficiency in AutoCAD preferred
- Ability to work and provide engineering support on a solo basis
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and deliver to deadlines
- Ability to communicate and write effectively
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
FieldCore is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law