Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Peoria, IL 61603
POSITION GOAL: Provide services to and on behalf of students whose educational or behavioral development is restricted due to social or emotional consideration, family circumstances or problems of the environment.
1. Work within limits of authority, responsibility and communication as they function within the District.
2. Consult with teachers, principals and other school personnel on individual cases, sharing appropriate information with them and utilizing their knowledge and skills.
3. Serve as liaison between the District and community social service agencies regarding cases of mutual concern.
4. Serve as liaison between the District and families regarding school policies and procedures.
5. Conduct home visits and collect diagnostic data relevant to a student’s school, home and community adjustment.
6. Participate in multi-disciplinary staff conferences concerning individual cases and recommend placement in programs of Special Education and/or other appropriate programs.
7. Serve as a resource contact for families in need of social services in the community.
8. Assist students directly toward optimal school adjustment.
9. Counsel with parents toward improving home and school situations whereby more favorable conditions will be attained in regard to school work, behavior, attendance and interest.
10. Provide the social developmental study for case study evaluation and participate in the identification of those children who require social work intervention.
11. Provide direct services to children through counseling and performing social work remedial measures as appropriate to the needs of students, individually or in groups.
12. Prepare local and state reports as needed.
13. Attend departmental, inter-departmental, professional and inter-agency meetings.
14. Perform such other functions to comply with Circular Series A 160 and the Illinois school code.
15. Perform such other duties and assume such other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Special Services Coordinator, Principal, and/or administrative designee.
KNOWLEDGE AND CRITICAL SKILLS:
1. Hold a valid Illinois Type 73 School Services Personnel certificate
2. School Social Worker endorsement required.
3. Master’s degree required.
4. Demonstrated leadership skills
5. Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
6. Knowledge of Board of Education policies, Illinois School Code, and special education law.
7. Knowledge of public relations and familiarity with community agencies and services.
8. Ability to understand school reports and records and document work productivity.
1. None required; previous work experience in a school/educational setting or related environment a plus.
1. General school / office environment.
1. Light lifting.
2. Travel between work sites in personal vehicle.