Senior Technical Accounting
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bannockburn, IL 60015
Senior Technical Accounting
- Job ID .#:36060
- Position Type:Full-Time
- Education Required:Bachelors Degree
- Experience Required:3 – 5 Years
- Functional Area:Finance
- Relocation Provided:No
Position Description:The Senior Technical Accountant will principally 1.) Conduct research and prepare documentation of ac-counting treatment for technical matters as assigned by the Director of Technical Accounting, 2.) Lead and coordinate the preparation, establishment, and compliance with Stericycle’s financial policies and guidelines, 3.) Perform and lead accounting review for complex accounting areas such as revenue recognition, intangible asset impairment reviews and the annual goodwill process.
Key Job Activities: Key Responsibilities – Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
• Partners with business and corporate functions in interpreting and implementing applicable SEC, FASB, IASB, and other applicable accounting rules and regulations in resolving business issues;
• Interacts regularly with the independent public accountants on accounting policy matters including documenting Company’s position on complex accounting and disclosure matters;
• Project lead on special projects including accounting areas where expert guidance in accounting policy matters is required
• Develop and/or update existing accounting policies and procedures and prepare training to worldwide finance and accounting teams.
• Understand new accounting standards, assess the implications, if any, to the Company, and execute adoption as appropriate, including communication and training
• Lead continuous improvement efforts including in the following areas:
o Policy compliance tools – Legal Entity Administration Database betterments including reporting, workflow and ease of use
o Policy and procedures connection with other functions and overall change management thereof
o Internal control data / information provided by Entity and Management review procedures and efficiencies
o Consultation / Advisory workflow and documentation
• Lead, establish and execute on Revenue Recognition Center of Excellence (Rev Rec COE) including in areas:
o Establish qualitative considerations and periodic oversight and monitoring of the business units
o Maintain and update position papers and documentation portfolio including consolidated materiality considerations and coordinate with external audit
o Maintain and update process for complex areas of revenue recognition, including commission capitalization and amortization and ensure business unit execute and operated under parameters that are operable and auditable efficiently
o Maintain and update consolidated revenue recognition analytic process (including coordinating with IT and third-party) that enables efficient use of consolidated data, create and maintain scripts/test, and review/comments by business units to ensure compliance with revenue recognition policy and procedures
o Work on special projects identified by the Director of Technical Accounting. This includes participation in transaction-related work steps such as:
o Goodwill and intangible asset impairment testing – annual process lead working with FP&A on LRP input and outside third-party valuation firm to advance reporting unit DCF models and other intangible asset reviews
o Participate in Legal Entity Reviews
o For areas of responsibility oversee the research and analysis of technical accounting matters and recommendation of actions relating thereto, and documentation of accounting issues and conclusions in white papers.
o Related Form 10-Q/K footnotes disclosures related to the above
o Act as a liaison to the external auditors to assist in their completion of efficient audit(s) including the integrated audit, among others (e.g. carve-outs, purchase accounting entries and related disclosures, etc.).
o Establish and maintain a continuous improvement culture/posture including establishing mythologies, prioritization, influencing and sponsoring initiatives originating from the controllership and active leadership/participation/execution on broader corporate/business unit initiatives.
Interaction with Technical Accounting
• Collaborate with the Director of Technical Accounting on issues related to newly issued accounting pronouncements, such as Revenue and Leases and other new ASU’s
• Assist in policy updates and global policy process, including communication and training
• Provide technical accounting guidance and US GAAP interpretation across the Company
Interaction with Finance Leads and FP&A
• Work closely with all operations personnel and accounting teams to allow for proper oversight of complex accounting matters and related planning thereof
• Communicate non-recurring transactions that will impact plan and monthly forecasts
• Provide accounting insight during the annual and long-range plan development processes
Interaction with other Specialty Finance Areas (Treasury, Tax, Internal Audit, and Investor relations)
• Support various internal areas related to non-routine transaction
• Actively participate in financial accounting matters related to financing transactions (both inter-company and externally)
Interaction with Business Transformation
• Provide expertise and leadership in the Account To Report (ATR) vision, blueprint, design and implementation working closely with ATR Global Process Owner and Lead
• Involvement with other mega processes (i.e. PTP, OTC, STP, HTR) to assure overall company policy and procedure alignment.
Interaction with Operational Accounting / Shared Services
• Actively engage with operation finance/accounting functions in accounting considerations and policy adherence and compliance
• Support the retain and outsource teams, if applicable, on understanding of the Company’s policies and procedure and maintain periodic check-in and cadenced training
Domestic & International Subsidiary Accounting and Reporting
• Provide leadership and support for the international accounting teams (to ensure standard practices are in place and information is available for decision making
• Assist in the development, implementation, communication and training of applicable accounting policies.
Leadership, Support, Guidance and Internal Consulting
• Provide overall support and analysis to executive management by investigating accounting questions, issues and judgments, and functioning as a change agent across the company by partnering with team members from other business units to assist with accounting questions.
• Provide support to share services and /or other Center of Excellence (COE) type functions.
• Complete ad hoc projects assigned by manager, including items such as analysis of special projects, or other accounting and finance-related matters.
Position Requirements:• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and a Certified Public Accountant designation
• 3+ years of hands-on experience in accounting and finance roles of increasing responsibility
• A minimum of 2 years of public accounting; public company experience
• Must possess knowledge of US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
• Experience in a more than $1.0 billion, global company
• Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) is considered a plus.
• Experience in effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills capable of interacting with staff, peers, and senior leadership competently and effectively
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
It is the policy of Stericycle, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, to hire the best qualified people available without regard to race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, religion, status with regard to public assistance, order of protection status, disability, or veteran status.