Loss Control Safety Consultant II / Sr - 19-1914-82351
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60603
Responsible for providing consultation and training to employers regarding safety matters. Develop business partnership and ambassador-type relationship with insured policyholders. Evaluate physical premises, equipment, materials, work practices, and safety policies and programs. Conduct safety surveys of employers’ premises to gather information to assist in risk selection as an integral part of the underwriting process. Work with management to develop loss control strategies that will have the greatest impact on company success measures.
* Identify potential hazardous conditions and unsafe acts that may have an adverse impact on employee claims and assist the client in reducing or eliminating those hazardous condition or unsafe acts. Review business processes and operations. Make recommendations for best practices in safety.
* Research and analyze technical information, specifications, type of equipment, legal standards, and losses, etc. Write and summarize technical information into practical, usable reports.
* Train and/or make presentations to customers on loss prevention and safety related topics by participating in internal and external meetings. Make presentations to internal/external staff as needed.
* Gather and communicate pertinent safety information to assist in the risk selection part of the underwriting process.
* Assist customers with the development of accident/loss prevention and/or safety programs. Monitor and measure the effectiveness of customer programs, corrective actions taken and meetings held.
* Manage territory of assigned accounts/policyholders and ensure each one gets the appropriate level of service based on premium amount and employer size.
* Coordinate policyholder visits with Business Development (Marketing and Underwriting), agent and/or Claims.
* Assist with the development of safety brochures, materials and exhibits for promotion and display.
* Represent company in community and industry safety groups, programs and conferences.
* Maintain strong relationships with independent agents to discuss new and existing clients, specific account loss control reports, analysis, and loss reduction recommendations and to respond to any agent concerns, questions, or issues.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/TASKS FOR SENIOR LOSS CONTROL CONSULTANT:
* Demonstrate progressive responsibility and technical knowledge applying principles based on experience.
* Work on complex problems which have broader impact.
* Independently resolve situations.
* Contribute effectively in cross functional teams; may take on leadership role.
* Demonstrate proper collaboration in exchange of relevant elements with other disciplines (e.g., claims, underwriting).
* Develop recommendations to change existing policies/programs.
* Demonstrate well-developed conflict management/negotiation and presentation skills.
* Provide assistance with training, development and mentoring of loss control staff in safety and accident prevention policies, procedures, ride-alongs, presentation techniques, and sampling equipment.
This position description identifies the responsibilities and tasks typically associated with the performance of the position. Other relevant essential functions may be required.
Associates in related field and certification (such as ARM, ASP, CSP) required; or a Bachelor’s degree in occupational/industrial safety or related field required. Continuous learning required, as defined by the Company’s learning philosophy. Certification, or progress toward, highly preferred and encouraged.
Loss Control Consultant II:
Minimum three years relevant experience that provides the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities. Workers Compensation insurance experience preferred.
Senior Loss Control Consultant:
Minimum seven years relevant experience that provides the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities. Workers Compensation insurance experience required.
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES (SKA) REQUIRED:
* Knowledge of key loss control standards, guidelines, techniques and disciplines such as ergonomics, machine garding, environmental health.
* Considerable knowledge of, and the ability to apply, relevant local, state and federal rules and regulations, including state-specific occupational safety and health acts and workers’ disability compensation acts.
* Ability to proactively identify risk factors at employer locations and communicate risk concerns effectively to appropriate parties.
* Ability to proactively analyze and evaluate risk factors by synthesizing data and communicating risk concerns effectively to appropriate parties.
* Ability to mitigate risk and influence necessary change.
* Ability to manage multiple projects and meet necessary deadlines.
* Excellent time management and organizational skills.
* Ability to minimize losses by spending time appropriately.
* Ability and proficiency in the use of computers and company standard software specific to position with the ability to navigate systems quickly and produce necessary reports for analysis.
* Ability to effectively exchange information clearly and concisely, present ideas, report facts and respond to questions, as appropriate
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to provide customer service by responding appropriately to inquiries or concerns from agents, policyholders, regulatory agencies, management, and employees.
* Effective presentation skills in a variety of settings.
* Ability to establish and maintain an effective working and client relationship.
* Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, reports, and legal documents.
* Ability to work independently out of a home office location with minimum supervision.
* Ability to operate a variety of monitoring equipment including noise and air sampling devices and photographic equipment.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES (SKA) REQUIRED for SENIOR LOSS CONTROL CONSULTANT:
* Extensive knowledge of, and the ability to apply, relevant local, state and federal rules and regulations, including multiple state-specific occupational safety and health acts and multiple state-specific workers’ disability compensation acts.
* Ability to assist with training, development and mentoring of loss control staff in safety and accident prevention policies, procedures, presentation techniques, and sampling equipment.
* Ability to balance the needs and expectations of clients with losses and clients that require routine service.
* Ability to analyze and solve practical problems which deal with a variety of factors.
* Ability to make competent, independent decisions.
* Ability to understand and implement procedures and processes.
Work is performed primarily in the field. However, may be required to visit customer locations which may present some unusual hazards. Frequent travel is required with overnight stays. Ability to lift and carry computer equipment weighing up to 35 lbs. Must possess a valid driver’s license with a record that meets corporate standards. Work is required at various times of the day and sometimes weekend work may be required. Must be able to meet general physical requirements that would allow the LC Rep the ability to view and participate in account operations which may include climbing ladders and scaffolding, work in confined spaces, and or other similar situations.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum education, experience, skills, knowledge and ability levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is valued and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form. Candidates for the position stated above are hired on an “at will” basis. Nothing herein is intended to create a contract.