Associate Food Scientist
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting in taking concepts through the R&D cycle to result in finished products at the commercialization level. Follow instruction and maintain detailed documentation of ongoing and future projects and provide reviews on the status of projects. Assist in the creation and maintenance of product specifications, formulations, processes and testing procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist in the formulation and execution of development of concepts into “Bench" prototypes which can further be scaled for Pilot Plant and Plant Trials.
• Cost optimize existing and newly developed formulas.
• Evaluate new ingredients and Suppliers as potential substitutes within our current formulations.
• Assist in the development and maintenance of detailed documentation of ongoing and future projects and provide bi-weekly reviews on the status of projects and expenses.
• Must be able to work independently within multiple priorities, projects and timelines exercising ingenuity, initiative and judgment in the approach to the design, planning and execution of projects.
• Develop and maintain product specifications including Shelf Life and handling procedures.
• Create and maintain product specifications, formulations, processes and testing procedures.
• Participate in Pilot Plant Scale up and Plant Trials as needed.
• Order and maintain ingredient and equipment supplies for the R&D lab
• Organize and manage Sensory evaluations to ensure that products and samples meet specific requirements.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Strong knowledge of ingredient functionality and interactions.
• Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or a related field is required; advanced degree preferred. Any culinary training or education a plus.
• Three to five years of experience in Food Product Development in a food manufacturer
• Some project management experience to include developing project timelines, understanding of budget development, scale up and margins/costs; commercialization process and activities and resource allocation a plus
• Excellent communication skills
• Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with individuals and groups at all levels of the organization
• Good knowledge of Sensory practices.
• Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Knowledge of Hot Fill processes preferred; knowledge of sauces and processes, condiment experience along with knowledge of Low Acid Canned Foods, Acidified and Non-Acidified foods will be a plus.
• Strong Computer Literacy skills.
• Ability to travel up to 40%.
• Willingness and flexibility to adapt to changing business needs and deadlines.
• Ability to exhibit a professional business-like appearance and demeanor.