Research Specialist 1
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60664
- Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.
- About the Unit
The Szmulewitz laboratory is a translational research lab focused on advanced prostate cancer. The general goal of the laboratory is to advance the treatment of refractory prostate cancer through the mechanistic study of prostate cancer biology. The Szmulewitz lab works with prostate cancer preclinical models as well as patient derived materials to study hormonal therapy resistance and other targeted therapies.
- Job Family
Responsible for all aspects of research projects and research facilities. Plans and conducts clinical and non-clinical research; facilitates and monitors daily activities of clinical trials or research projects. Directs engineering and technical support activities to develop and maintain tools and computational methods needed to gather and analyze data.
- Career Track and Job Level
Oversees all aspects of management, scientific technological development, and operations for major research projects or research facilities. Ensures compliance of research activities with institutional, state, and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates. Writes articles, reports and manuscripts. Presents research findings at meetings and/or conferences.
T2: Expands skills in own work area within an analytical/scientific method or operational process. Maintains appropriate licenses, training and/or certifications, as needed. Applies experience and skills to complete assigned work within our area of expertise. Works within standard operating procedures and/or scientific methods. Works with a moderate degree of supervision.
- Role Impact
The job provides technical support activities related to scientific research projects. Ensures compliance of research activities with institutional, state, and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates. Assists in drafting presentations on research findings.
1) Provides technical and administrative support for a research project., 2) Collects and enters data. Assists in analyzing data. Assists with preparation of reports, manuscripts and other documents., 3) Assists with the installation, sets up and performs experiments; interacting with students and other laboratory staff under the direction of the principal investigator., 4) May assist recruiting and scheduling research subjects; assisting with developing or amending study protocols; assisting with developing data collection tools; assisting with building databases; and providing general administrative support. Is developing skills in research techniques or methods, regulatory policies and procedures, and relevant scientific field., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) The Research Specialist 1 will be tasked with broadly supporting the laboratory through close collaboration with the PI, postdoctoral fellows, graduate student(s) and laboratory manager.
2) The Research Specialist will work with prostate cancer cell lines and animal models and, under the supervision of PI or postdoctoral fellow, will carry out various in vitro and in vivo experiments.
3) They will also collect and process patient derived material for downstream analysis.
4) Cell culture and in vitro experiments including, but not limited to, Western immunoblot, RNA isolation and qRT-PCR, cell line transfection and infection, proliferation assays.
5) Work with others in the lab on in vivo tumor progression studies.
6) Collect and process patient blood or tissues and extracting cancer cells for analysis.
1) Willingness to work with rodents.
2) Basic computer skills (including Microsoft Office).
3) Knowledge of research techniques and methods.
4) Ability to work with little direct oversight.
5) Ability to work within a larger research team.
6) Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include vocational training, apprenticeships or the equivalent experience in related field (not typically required to have a four-year degree).
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1)Two years of research experience or relevant experience
2) Cover letter
NOTE:When applying, all required documents **MUST**be uploaded under the R**esume/CV** section of the application.
- FLSA Status
- Pay Frequency
- Pay Grade
Depends on Qualifications
- Scheduled Weekly Hours
- Benefits Eligible
- Drug Test Required
- Health Screen Required
- Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
- Posting Date
- Remove from Posting On or Before
- Posting Statement
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University’s Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time