Controls Specialist Technician
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Bolingbrook, IL 60440
Controls Specialist Technician
.# of Openings
The Controls Specialist Technician trains Automation Technicians on troubleshooting and preventive maintenance. Troubleshoots and designs, implements, and documents controls solutions for material handling systems.
- Performs Allen Bradley (AB) PLC control-level issue diagnosis using ladder logic and Control View HMI
- Follows change management process and develop ad-hoc PLC ladder code change using Rockwell RSLogix family IDE’s (5000 preferred)
- Uses AutoCAD to review, develop and maintain electrical schematic and conveyor layout drawings
- Performs incident follow-up, root cause analysis, and documentation
- Documents control system and equipment configuration changes
- Mentors technicians by motivating, guiding, and directing their work; provides appropriate feedback to improve performance
- Completes all safety training as assigned
- Complies with all safety programs, policies, and procedures
- On call as needed
- Up to 10% regional travel
- High school graduate or equivalent; 2-year professional electrical training degree or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Allen Bradley (AB) PLC control-level issue diagnosis using ladder logic and Control View HMI
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with AutoCAD control layout design and schematics
- Knowledge of AB PLC processors (CompactLogix and ControlLogix preferred) and input/output modules. Knowledge of other non-AB control systems such as OPTO, Crisplant and Buschman BOSS would be a plus.
- Ability to install, maintain and troubleshoot relay logic, ladder diagrams, control components – photo eyes, motor starters, relays, limit switches, proximity sensors, timers, solenoids, Servo drives, frequency inverters, linear drives, tachometers and encoders.
- Knowledge of PLC programs and ability to troubleshoot ladder logic (read and use for troubleshooting), components (CPU back plains, I/O boards, counters, modules and devices) and communications modules (Ethernet)
- Ability to execute project tasks assigned.
- Reasoning, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to interpret and modify drawings both mechanical and electrical
- Ability to identify, maintain, and utilize SCADA systems and KPI’s
- Ability to train others with lesser skills
- Ability to access all levels and areas of the facility
- Ability to interpret and understand policies and procedures and relate them to others
- Project management experience
- Intermediate computer skills including MS Office
- Customer service orientation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, organized and detail-oriented
- Team orientation
- Knowledge of safe industrial work practices