Medical Assistant - Certified, Women's Healthcare
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Springfield, IL 62781
Medical Assistant – Certified, Women’s Healthcare
Licensed Practical Nurse/Medical Assistant
Performs a wide variety of activities which may include both direct patient care activities for the clinic’s patients of all ages, as well as business office functions, depending on the size of the assigned clinic. All patient care is provided under the direct supervision of the physician and/or mid-level provider.
Graduation from an accredited medical assisting program required or at least 5 years experience working in the field of medical assisting.
- Valid certification as a certified medical assistant (CMA) is required through one of the following:
- American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) or
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) through American Medical Technologists (AMT) or
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) through National HealthCareer Association (NHA) or
- Medical Assistant (NCMA) through National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- Maintains certification as required through AAMA, AMT, NHA or NCCT guidelines.
- Valid CPR certification required.
Prior computer experience required.
Previous clinic experience preferred.
Candidates must successfully pass the following assessments during the interview process in order to be further considered for this position: Listening Skills, Data Entry, and Medical Spelling.
- Assists healthcare providers with the patient care process in person, and over the telephone. Practices within scope and current standards of care. Responsible for customer satisfaction.
- Provides direct patient care that may include working with patients of all ages, in person and over the phone, completing tasks involving the use of assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation skills, and administration of prescribed medications and treatments. All patient care is provided under the direct supervision of the physician and/or mid-level provider.
- Documents according to scope and current standard of care.
- Accountable for achieving quality standards. Assists in various aspects of patient flow process including, but not limited to performing front office reception and billing office duties, securing/stocking necessary supplies, preparing exam room and patient for examination, assisting the provider with the exam or procedure, and cleaning/disinfecting exam/treatment area after use, performing various laboratory duties.
- Responsible for several tasks related to the paper flow through office. This aspect may include, but is not limited to, working with incoming mail and faxed correspondence, assisting in scanning correspondence and paper medical records and conducting quality assurance.
- Assists with various aspects of diagnostic testing including obtaining and/or preparing specimens, labeling/recording, and communicating results. Performs miscellaneous CLIA-waived testing. May perform EKG’s/rhythm strips, spirometry, pulse oximetry, nebulizers, as well as other testing outlined by the provider.
- Complies with all clinic policies and procedures including, but not limited to blood borne pathogens, chemical safety, laboratory, administrative, and corporate compliance. Applies the Minimum Necessary Standard when accessing protected health information.
- Assists in the clinic financial performance in ways which may include, depending on setting: careful use of resources including supplies, equipment, and time; assisting in the collection of upfront copays; ensuring that patients present for check-out; noting when contact or insurance information does not appear current or correct; following policy related to bad debt situations. Obtains appropriate insurance referrals and pre-certifications.
- Demonstrates support for and participates in accomplishing team goals and objectives.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Memorial Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.