Laboratory Support Associate
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Springfield, IL 62781
Laboratory Support Associate
Clerical, Administrative and Business Support
Assists with the data entry of outpatient physician orders and attaches barcodes to biological specimens. Understands basic billing concepts. Rechecks physician orders for errors. Processes biological specimens to appropriate laboratory departments. Provide clients with reference information for physician orders. Reports test results verbally, by fax communication or direct printing to client and physician offices. Prints and separates physician reports for distribution to the appropriate physician offices and nursing units.
High school graduate.
Customer service oriented.
Basic communication skills required.
Basic Medical Terminology helpful.
Demonstrate the ability to type and use a keypad.
Light physical effort.
- Reads and interprets outpatient and nonpatient physician orders, questioning any unclear order with supervisor. Rechecks the order for errors making any necessary corrections.
- Removes biological specimens from biohazard bags, verifies that appropriate specimen containers are received for laboratory tests ordered, verifies that the requisition name matches the name on the specimen container, prepares logs, and attaches barcodes to biological specimen containers. Specimens consist of blood, urine, body fluids, biopsies, bone marrow, glass slides with dried specimen affixed and liquid based pap smears in specific transport containers.
- Provides effective communication to the outpatient either in person or by telephone answering all questions effectively.
- Monitors the printing of physician reports for inpatients and outpatients. Places reports for delivery in the appropriate bin.
- Communicates requests for specimen collection to phlebotomists in a timely and appropriate manner. Works closely with phlebotomy staff and managers to organize and facilitate inpatient and outpatient phlebotomy requests.
- Gives patient test results to nursing units and physician offices in accordance with medical center policies either verbally or by fax communication.
- Communicates telephone or verbal messages effectively and politely to appropriate lab divisions, personnel or administrative staff.
- Assists clients and physicians with specimen requirements and collection procedures for testing ordered.
- Follows instructions on separating nonpatient samples ensuring that all specimens are received and the correct specimen container is received. Document errors made by client and notifies management.
- Ensures that all specimens received from client and physician offices are documented against packing lists and follows up with the site in the event all specimens are not received.
- Inputs all faxed orders into the lab orders database, questioning any illegible order, calls physician’s office with clarification of test order and patient demographics and order request (standing or one time).
- Contribute to departmental operations by performing other related duties as may be required and/or assigned.
- Monitors the laboratory computer system operations menu to ensure all operations are running and respond to the appropriate prompts to print daily reports. Notify appropriate computer operations staff concerning exceptions.
- Maintains specimen tracking by correctly logging in all outpatient and floor samples with the correct time of specimen collection.
- Contributes to effective customer relations by assisting patients, visitors, and physicians to resolve expressed concerns and by demonstrating a welcoming and helpful attitude.
- Maintains patient records according to all accreditation requirements and regulatory guidelines.
- Ensures that professional and personal activities conform to Memorial Medical Center strategic plan and philosophy regarding the Guest Relation Program.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Memorial Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.