Referral Management Specialist II
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Springfield, IL 62781
Referral Management Specialist II
Clerical, Administrative and Business Support
The Referral Management Specialist II reports to the Manager of Ambulatory Care Management. Under general supervision, the Referral Management Specialist II will utilize tools designed to facilitate the referral process and schedule appointments for multiple specialties for Memorial Physician Services primary care patients. Working primarily in an office setting, the Referral Management Specialist II will partner with the Primary Care Physician team to provide a resource for timely referrals that will increase clinical and operational processes which will positively impact patient safety and quality. The Referral Management Specialist II will ensure timely arrangement of appointments at specialty clinics, ensure primary care provider preferences are met when possible, ensure payer requirements for referrals are met, complete necessary payer prior authorizations, enter transfer of care orders and communicate appointment details to patients, primary care providers, and specialty offices. The Referral Management Specialist II will follow all applicable regulations, policies, and guidelines to ensure compliant and appropriate management of patient referrals to specialty care.
- High school diploma required
- Graduate of accredited Licensed Practical Nurse program with current licensure in the state of Illinois or Graduation from an accredited medical assistant program required while possessing a Valid certification as a certified medical assistant (CMA) through American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) through American Medical Technologists (AMT), Certified clinical medical assistant (CCMA) through National Health Career Association (NHA), or National certified medical assistant (NCMA) through National Center for Competency testing (NCCT) required.
- Previous clerical and EHR documentation experience preferred-specifically Allscripts EHR.
- Strong knowledge of local physician networks and their associated specialties, including Springfield Clinic, SIU, OCI, Prairie and others.
- Strong general computer skills in Microsoft Office; especially Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, databases, and reporting tools strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of insurance requirements and coverage.
- Understanding of insurance prior authorization processes and insurance referrals.
- Possesses strong medical terminology.
- Demonstrates understanding of evidence based healthcare.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a fast changing and ambiguous environment.
- Engaging service oriented skills required.
- Excellent organizational skills required. Demonstrates ability to be flexible and function in stressful situations.
- Excellent oral, written communications and interpersonal skills required.
- Demonstrates initiative, self-direction, and motivation.
- Demonstrates open/global communication skills with multiple requesters.
- Ability to work with multiple care providers and maintain positive working relationships.
- Responsible for working referrals based on various specialty procedures.
- Interacts with patients in a professional manner displaying courtesy and the ability to inform patient on procedure they will be receiving.
- Responsible for obtaining necessary referrals for patients in need of ancillary or specialty services. Maintains documentation accordingly and provides authorization codes and numbers to patients. Works directly with patients regarding the requirements and limitations of their health plan.
- Accountable for improving provider efficiency and effectiveness by performing referral process; allowing the care teams to spend more time with patient care.
- Displays ability to understand insurance coverage and how to obtain pre-authorization for procedures.
- Enters Transfer of Care orders into Medical Record for Primary Care Physician to referred specialist.
- Faxes copies of medical records to insurance companies, managed care companies and physicians’ offices to ensure that the patient’s referral will be a covered service, and that the recipient physician is prepared for the visit.
- Maintains key contacts at insurance care companies, documenting all interactions, helping to facilitate referral process.
- Acts as a primary contact when change is forthcoming with insurance coverages.
- Functions under the direction of the Manager, Ambulatory Care Management and Primary Care Physicians.
- Must operate effectively with various levels of leadership and clinical expertise, while assisting with accomplishing department goals and objectives.
- Assists team members with completion of duties in a timely and accurate manner while being able to function independently with assigned duties.
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation and follow up when applicable.
- Interacts with co-workers, visitors, physicians and other healthcare personnel in a manner that enhances service delivery and promotes positive relationships.
- Behaves in accordance of the MHS Behavioral Standards.
- Adheres to all HIPAA guidelines and patient confidentiality policies. Applies the minimum necessary standard when accessing protected health information.
- Performs opening and close of day activities. This may include running reports and preparing for next day’s appointments.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
Memorial Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.