Instructor-Work Zone Tech & Temporary Traffic Cont
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60629
State of Illinois – , IL
Up to 25%
Description & Company Info
Work Zone Tech & Temp. Traffic Control Adjunct Instructor
The National Safety Council is looking for part-time Work Zone Technician (WZT) & Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) instructors to support our mission by teaching adult-focused courses about the importance of road. Work with great companies in or near your home town! The National Safety Council is the nation’s leading safety advocate with the mission to save lives by preventing injuries and deaths at work, in homes and communities, and on the road through leadership, research, education and advocacy. If you are interested in working to make the world measurably safer, NSC is the place for you. Come work with a collaborative team of passionate, mission driven individuals!
As a WZT & TTC Instructor, you will teach construction workers, Department of Transportation employees, Utility, and Municipal workers about best practices and required standards for safe efficient traffic control on all public roads. These classes are developed from the National Manual on Uniform Traffic Controls, as well as the Geometric Design Standards developed by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO).
Continuous Recruitment Notice
The National Safety Council continuously accepts applications for part-time instructors to establish a broad and diverse pool of available candidates. By submitting an application for this posting you are applying to be a part of NSC’s pool for potential employment as an instructor. There may not be a current opening.
The Human Resources department will keep your application and accompanying documents on file and under consideration for a period of two years. After this time has elapsed, your application will be removed from our system and you will be invited to reapply.
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering or Traffic Operations Engineer or 8-10 years of experience working for an Engineering agency as an Engineering Technician or comparable title with major work experience being in developing and/or inspecting Traffic Control Work Zones.
- 3-5 years work experience in the area of developing detailed Traffic Control Plans (TCP’s) that meet State and local guidelines for roadways.
- Working knowledge and understanding of Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).
- Background in establishing safety training classes and developing course itinerary. This would include organizing the material, presenting the material as a lecture and from PowerPoint materials utilizing computers and presentation equipment available.
- Experience in public speaking with the ability to lead effective classroom discussions, and be able to handle a diverse group of students.
- Should be able to Think on their Feet while presenting classroom information using calculators, Flipcharts, Whiteboards, Tabletop Exercises, and other instructional tools.
- Should be able to deal with unexpected difficulties such as Equipment Failures, individuals with difficulties understanding class presentations and basic disruptions to the class to ensure completion of the class as planned.
The National Safety Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities