Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Niles, IL 60714
SHIPPING/RECEIVING SPECIALIST (1901857)
Shipping/Receiving Specialist is responsible for shipping and packaging materials, assisting freight carriers and coordinating part transport to other departments. The role works under limited supervision and some contact with external suppliers and customers. The role involves serving as Woodward representative while coordinating government source inspections and coordinating shipping schedules.
- Assemble wooden and cardboard containers to prepare for product packing and line and pad crates/boxes as required.
- Assist freight carriers as necessary to expedite shipments.
- Check materials to ensure that they match purchase orders and submit discrepancy reports when problems are found.
- Count or estimate quantities of materials, parts, or products received or shipped.
- Generate, prepare, and attach identification and shipping labels to finished packaged items, or cut stencils and stencil information on containers, such as lot numbers or shipping destinations.
- Obtain all certifications as necessary for required processes.
- Perform specialized packaging and follow specialized shipment instructions based on customer requests.
- Prepare bills of lading and shipping orders to route materials.
- Transport parts or items from one area of the facility to another using carts, wheels, cranes, forklifts or other motorized vehicles, etc.
- Unload, unpack and receive incoming shipments of products of MRO (Maintenance Repair and Operating) items.
- Evaluate shipping procedures for shipments sent/received internationally against international shipping regulations.
- Maintain and update shipping department instruction manuals and operating instructions.
- Serve as Woodward representative while coordinating government source inspections.
- Prepare and distribute government documentation.
- Pick up and deliver parts in courier van when necessary.
- Communicate with carriers to exchange information regarding products, materials, services, and other shipping/receiving information.
- Compare product labels, tags, or tickets, shipping manifests, purchase orders and bills of lading to verify accuracy of shipment contents, quality specifications and/or weights.
- Contact carrier representatives or use carrier web based interfaces to make arrangements and to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of materials. (Note: This may not be a job function at all locations.)
- Coordinate completed part transport to other departments for further modifications, use, or shipping. Assist engineering or regulatory authorities with receipt of crash investigation units. (Leadership would be involved in matters.)
- Count and record finished packaged items.
- Create and provide bar coding and all other special marking requirements.
- Determine shipping method for materials, using knowledge of shipping procedures, routes, and rates. (Note: This may not be a job function at all sites.)
- Prepare export documentation for international shipments, including posting shipper export declarations using online websites.
- Promote teamwork within the organization.
- Record shipment data, such as weight, charges, space availability, and damages and discrepancies, for reporting, accounting, and recordkeeping purposes.
- Review customer shipping requirements using customer web portals. (Note: This may not be a job function at all sites.)
- Review item status in WISE (Woodward Information Systems Environment) and ensure item is logged/closed out appropriately based on its current status.
- Package materials, sort and weigh products, verifying and adjusting product weight or measurement to meet specifications and maintain relevant records.
- Knowledge of and the ability to use a variety of basic hand tools (e.g., wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, scrappers, box cutters).
- Knowledge of part special handling guidelines and specifications. This includes researching part handling instructions using facility databases or work orders and following the handling procedures required.
- Knowledge of shipping equipment use (e.g., foam in place machine, bubble wrap machine), necessary raw materials, and the ability to effectively and safely use the equipment.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement processes to improve operational effectiveness.
- Knowledge of how quality impacts the success of the organization including costs to customers, costs of recalls and potential costs due to negative impacts on a company’s reputation. This includes taking the necessary steps to ensure quality on a consistent basis and striving for improvement.
- The ability to accomplish a task with concern for all the areas involved, including the ability to notice minute inconsistencies/faults in parts, and the ability to make timely, sound decisions. This includes recognizing when outside advice is needed, and committing to action, even in uncertain situations.
- The ability to use computer and web-based systems to input, access, modify, or output information or to execute programs or analyses with a willingness to learn new applications (e.g., PC-based tools, Microsoft applications, web-based applications).
- Knowledge and ability to use general office equipment.
- The ability to write effectively, to read and understand work documents and to communicate information clearly to coworkers and supervisor. The position also involves the ability to provide guidance to members, through instruction and personal example.
- Knowledge of and ability to communicate technical and complex material to individuals who may have limited knowledge in the area. Role may require basic negotiation and influence, cooperation, tact and diplomacy.
- General knowledge of machines and equipment functionality, and how tools could be used on such equipment/machines. This includes the ability to learn new systems quickly, understanding how parts relate, and how they impact system functionality. The position also requires manual dexterity or the ability to work quickly with hands. The position also requires the knowledge and ability to identify opportunities to improve current processes and to implement the necessary steps for the improvements.
- The ability and willingness to demonstrate eagerness, enthusiasm, and optimism for work activities.This includes the ability and willingness to take ownership of work activities, to learn and understand company policies and procedures, to take independent action and complete job tasks without being instructed to complete them.
- Knowledge of and the ability to adhere to department safety rules regarding eye and ear protection, personal protection, hazard labeling, MSDS sheets, evacuation procedures, and emergency phone numbers.
- The ability to accurately provide the information requested on specific forms, reports, and logs. This includes generating or transcribing appropriate words, numbers, or symbols to complete written or computerized forms, reports, or logs.
- The ability to define, diagnose, and resolve problems. This includes seeking, logically examining, and interpreting information from different sources to determine a problem’s cause and developing a course of action to resolve the problem and to prevent its reoccurrence. This also includes the ability to acquire and apply new knowledge and skills and the ability to integrate knowledge of current resources and constraints, priorities and manufacturing processes to determine the benefits and costs associated with key decisions.
- The ability to provide excellent service to internal customers, including seeking to meet customer needs quickly and effectively, remaining professional when dealing with difficult internal customers, reviewing complaints from them and taking action to remedy the complaint.
- The ability to interact cooperatively and collaboratively with others as a team, including those holding divergent and/or opposing view and goals.
The ability to interact cooperatively and collaboratively with others as a team.
- The ability to perform simple arithmetic computations including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division correctly using whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- The ability to process multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously and the ability to follow work orders efficiently.
- The ability to see details (e.g., letters, numbers, codes, color, symbols, marks, labels, signs) clearly to accomplish work tasks in a safe and efficient manner.
Education or Formal Training:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- At least one year related work experience is required with a valid driver’s license.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
This position requires use of information which is subjectto the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the ExportAdministration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S.persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR, or possess all requiredauthorizations from the U.S. Department of State Department and the U.S.Department of Commerce. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S.Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee,or Refugee.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer