Medical Technologist - Immunology/Flow Cytometry -
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60611
Medical Technologist – Immunology/Flow Cytometry – Part-Time
Performs routine and specialized tests in one or various sections of the clinical laboratory, independently or with minimal supervision. Recognizes the clinical significance of each test performed and reports results within established time frames. The position actively supports the Hospital’s and the department’s Continuous Quality Improvement and customer service goals through modeling of appropriate behavior and by providing a work environment conducive to attaining these goals. Performs diagnostic immunology and flow cytometry procedures in a clinical laboratory. Primary functions are performing testing, resulting, and quality control. Methodologies include flow cytometry, immunofluorescence, enzyme immunoassay, fluorescent immunoassay, and cell culture. It is preferable that candidate has experience with immunofluorescence and/or flow cytometry.
- Follows clinical laboratory testing procedures and policies in the performance of routine and specialized tests. Identifies source and nature of test problems and makes appropriate recommendation as to course of action.
- Applies scientific method in problem solving and assists in the evaluation of new methods and techniques. Assures that quality control criteria are met and adheres to established laboratory policies in handling hazardous substances.
- Records necessary documentation to comply with various agency and Hospital regulations. Performs required instrument maintenance at the prescribed time and logs appropriately. Is able to perform minor trouble-shooting on instrumentation.
- Instructs and trains rotating residents, students, physicians and new members of the laboratory staff in laboratory testing procedures as needed.
- Assures a clean work area and technical clean-up at the end of each shift. Assists in maintaining sufficient supplies at each work station.
- Assists in the development and evaluation of new procedures and protocols.
- Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
- Completes competency testing and mandatory and continuing education requirements as defined by the position
- Other job functions as assigned, such as developing, coordinating, assessing, and documenting competency testing
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in chemical or biological sciences, or Associate’s degree in laboratory sciences or medical laboratory technology which consists of 60 semester hours including a minimum of either 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses or equivalent combination of science courses (i.e. chemistry, biology, medical laboratory technology).
- Meets all regulatory requirements for moderate or high complexity testing as appropriate within assigned area.
- Must be detail oriented and have the ability to multi-task.