Echocardiographer - Cardiac Diagnostics 24 hrs/wk
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
Shift, Part time, Days, Weekend as needed
Reporting to the Cardiac Services Manager, performs non-invasive ultrasound scans of the patient’s heart to assist physicians in the diagnosis of medical disorders; monitors patient’s condition; maintains area equipment and supplies.
1. Performs cardiac diagnostic ultrasound procedures according to NCH protocol assigned by the supervisor, including stress echos, dobutamine stress echos, transesophegal echos, and 2-D echo with color flow and spectral Doppler; operates stationary and portable ultrasound units performing all tests in a timely manner. Properly disinfects equipment and transducers per established guidelines. Coordinates testing with other departments to promote throughput and decrease length of stay. Responds to all stat echocardiogram procedures in a timely manner, including on-call situations.
2. Performs pediatric echos as ordered and communicates with imaging staff at Lurie’s in a clear, efficient manner. Facilitates notification process and works collaboratively with NCH pediatric nursing floor staff, physicians, and Lurie’s to coordinate prompt testing.
3. Explains examination procedures to patient and family/caregiver and provides necessary instructions and guidance throughout testing. Assists patients from wheelchairs and stretchers on and off the examining table; ensures that patient is properly covered for the exam.
4. Monitors patient’s condition frequently while in the cardiac diagnostic area and reports any critical changes in the patient’s condition to the appropriate personnel.
5. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to assess, treat, and care for all age groups of patients (neonatal through geriatric); implements assessment/treatment/care based on the developmental stages of the patient. Involves family/guardian in plan of care and conducts patient and family education, as appropriate, considering the developmental needs of the patient.
6. Ability to explain and perform LV enhancement imaging on appropriate patients and capable to differentiate when it is appropriate to use an Image enhancing Agent. Chart/charge for test properly in EMR, according to department policy and protocol.
7. Enters all patient demographic information into ultrasound machine, selecting appropriate study type i.e. DSE, Stress, Complete, Limited. Stores all required images and transmits study to reporting and long-term archiving systems. Troubles shoots equipment problems and initiates service calls promptly to promote quick resolution.
8. Demonstrates the knowledge and understands the use of “Image Enhancing Agent” and is competent to administer as needed, per departments policies.
9. Completes all orders in the electronic patient record to facilitate accurate billing. Records all studies in appropriate logbook.
10. Schedules all inpatients into the daily schedule utilizing the computerized scheduling program.
11. Maintains equipment and accessories; cleaning daily; wipes down probe after each use; reports all broken and malfunctioning equipment to supervisor. Maintains organization and cleanliness in the cardiac diagnostic area; orders supplies or cleaning service, as needed. Maintains organization and cleanliness in the cardiac diagnostic area; orders supplies or cleaning service, as needed.
12. Assists in the training of technologists and interns.
13. Responsible with other technologists to self-schedule, ensuring all shifts are covered. Shares on-call responsibilities with other technologists.
14. Assumes responsibility for own professional growth by attending Continuing Education classes, seminars and/or conferences, and by reading professional journals.
15. Adheres to all Northwest Community Hospital standards, policies, and procedures. Follows all NCH standards in protecting patient information at all times.
1. Current registration in Cardiac Sonographer/Echo RDCS, RCS, or registry eligible.
2. Previous cardiac experience with neonates and pediatrics preferred.
3. Knowledge of and/or experience in the correct use of body mechanics.
4. Current CPR certification.
5. The interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with patients who may be anxious or confused and to interact with physicians and other hospital staff.
6. The communication skills necessary to inform patients regarding examination procedures.
7. The computer skills necessary to ensure proper scheduling, charging and documenting of procedures in the electronic patient record and performing mandatory on-line training.
Job: Professional/ Technical Clinical
Title: Echocardiographer – Cardiac Diagnostics 24 hrs/wk
Location: Illinois-Arlington Heights
Requisition ID: 191853