Principal Data Architect, Data Warehousing & MPP
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60607
At Amazon Web Services (AWS), we’re hiring highly technical cloud computing architects to collaborate with our customers and partners on key engagements. Our consultants will develop and deliver proof-of-concept projects, technical workshops, and support implementation projects. These professional services engagements will focus on customer solutions such as HPC, Batch Data processing, MPP systems, Data Analytics and Business Intelligence.
This role will specifically focus on large scale data warehousing and database migration capabilities to help our customers and partners to remove the constraints that prevent them from leveraging their data to develop business insights. AWS Professional Services engage in a wide variety of projects for customers and partners, providing collective experience from across the AWS customer base and are obsessed about customer success. Our team collaborates across the entire AWS organization to bring access to product and service teams, to get the right solution delivered and drive feature innovation based upon customer needs.
- Expertise – Collaborate with AWS field sales, pre-sales, training and support teams to help partners and customers learn and use AWS services such as Amazon Redshift, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Amazon Data Pipeline, S3, Relational Database Service (RDS) and Amazon Kinesis.
- Solution – Deliver on-site technical engagements with partners and customers. This includes participating in pre-sales on-site visits, understanding customer requirements, generating consulting proposals, contributing to internal Area of Depth (AoD) programs, authoring AWS Data Analytics
- best practice blogs/whitepaper and creating packaged data service offerings.
- Delivery – Engagements include short on-site projects to assess and optimize customer’s Amazon Redshift implementations and helping customers to migrate from their existing on-premises data warehouses using other databases to Amazon Redshift.
This is a customer facing role. You will be required to travel to client locations and deliver professional services when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field
- 12+ years of experience of IT platform implementation in a highly technical and analytical role.
- 8+ years of development and/or DBA experience in Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) including 5+ years of hands-on experience in implementation and performance tuning MPP databases (Teradata, Vertica, Netezza, Greenplum).
- Ability to drive discussions with senior personnel regarding trade-offs, best practices, project management and risk mitigation.
- Current hands-on implementation experience required; individual contributors only.
- Analyze on-premise transactional database environments such as Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL and/or Postgres, as well as MPP databases (Teradata, Netezza, Vertica and Greenplum).
- Consult for optimal design of database environments, analyzing complex distributed production deployments, and making recommendations to optimize performance.
- Develop innovative solutions to complex business and technology problems.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age