Environ Health Safety Spclst
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60611
Environ Health Safety Spclst
Plans and organizes the daily operations of the environmental health and safety program for the medical center. Oversees the safety risk assessment and safety surveillance and assists with design, implementation and evaluation of approved mitigation interventions.
1. Ensures the workplace satisfies health and safety requirements for OSHA, EPA, DOT, RCRA and other state and local agency regulations or standards.
2. Participates in conducting health and safety risk assessments, recommends measures to mitigate the risks and coordinates implementation of approved mitigation strategies. Assists with loss control prevention activities.
3. Coordinates and participates in hospital-wide collection and dissemination of information about the physical environment and workplace hazards including hazard surveillance and incident reporting.
4. Monitors compliance with regulatory requirements such as EPA, OSHA, NFPA Life Safety Code, RCRA for activities such as but not limited to hazardous materials handling/disposal , life safety, indoor air quality, workplace safety and other state and local regulations specific to the environment of care;
5. Coordinates the review of environment of care and work place safety related policies and procedures for the medical center. Collaborates with Laboratory safety representative to ensure compliance with RCRA hazardous waste standards.
6. Participates in hazard surveillance, chemical inventory development, spill response training and manifest record keeping ensuring compliance with RCRA hazard waste standards, Department of Transportation and Occupational Health and Safety Administration hazardous material requirements.
7. Provides support to the Environmental Safety and Emergency Preparedness Committees and programs as determined by Leadership.
8. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
9. Other job functions as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in health, environmental health and/or safety required.
2. A minimum of 3 years of experience in Environmental Health and Safety in a hospital based practice.
3. Strong leadership skills, interpersonal skills and consensus building skills.
4. Physically travels to all areas of the medical center including satellite locations and office buildings.
5. Operational problem solving and decision – making skills.
6. Demonstrated working knowledge of regulatory requirements and accreditation standards Demonstrated knowledge of workplace safety and hazardous material principles and practices.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of needs assessment for safety programs, OSHA requirements and industrial hygiene principals and applications in a healthcare environment. Emergency management response principles.
8. Certification in industrial hygiene or certified hospital safety professional strongly preferred.