Architectural Engineering Associate - Northbrook,
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Northbrook, IL 60062
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE) is seeking an exceptional entry-level Architectural Engineering Associate to join our team in Northbrook, Illinois.
WJE solves some of the most interesting challenges in the built world, and as an Architectural Engineering Associate you will have the opportunity to learn from and grow alongside industry-leading experts.
At WJE, we spend almost as much time in the field, up close and personal with our projects, as we do in the office. An Architectural Engineering Associate will gain hands-on experience by supporting project managers in all aspects of our projects for a variety of construction types, both modern and historic.
- Bachelor’s degree or better in architecture, architectural engineering, civil engineering or related field, from an accredited program
- Enthusiasm and curiosity for solving problems and understanding how things work
- Ability to work in the field, both locally and outside the local area
- Strong technical, written, and verbal communication skills
- Experience related to the evaluation and repair of existing buildings a plus
- Interest and experience related to the design and construction of building enclosures a plus
- Assume responsibility for key aspects of projects and complete assignments with limited oversight
- Perform on-site investigations, condition assessments, and construction observations, which may include surveying, documenting distress, field testing, collecting data and samples, and preparing site visit reports
- Perform diagnostic water testing, non-destructive testing, and structural load testing
- Analyze field data and perform research to facilitate problem solving and repair design
- Assist with drafting and preparation of client deliverables, such as construction documents, specifications, and written reports
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computer, printer, fax, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at the various office, field, and construction sites
- Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials, and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
Microsoft Office Suite
Dedicated Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Detail Oriented Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Enthusiastic Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
Team Player Works well as a member of a group
Goal Completion Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
Self-Starter Inspired to perform without outside help
Growth Opportunities Inspired to perform well by the chance to take on more responsibility
Bachelors or better in Architectural Engineering or related field.
Bachelors or better in Architecture or related field.
Bachelors or better in Building Science or related field.
Bachelors or better in Civil Engineering or related field.
Masters or better in Architecture or related field.
1-3 years: Internships and other work experience
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or © consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35©
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, minorities, women, and protected veterans (VEVRAA federal contractor). WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.