Camp and NatureStart Programs Counselor
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Brookfield, IL 60513
Pay rate $16.25 per hour. High School diploma or (GED) equivalent required. Must be at least 18 years of age as required by the American Camp Association Guidelines. Camp programs are for children ages 4 to 14. The Chicago Zoological Society strives to provide the most inclusive guest experience possible by providing an environment that fosters respect for all individuals and celebrates differences. Experience working in inclusive informal, educational, or recreational programs a plus. The Camp and NatureStart Programs Counselor (seasonal) contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society by providing the highest level of quality customer service and extraordinary guest experiences with top-quality programming to participants to further the Society’s mission of inspiring conservation leadership.Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Facilitate a variety of camp and specialty program topics and themes through techniques, including investigation, exploration and instruction. Programs include, but are not limited to, Zoo Camp, Safari Sleepovers, Kid’s Clubs, and Mini Camps.
• Partner with Camp and NatureStart Inclusion Specialist to plan for accommodation of participants with special needs.
• Facilitate program/activity development, prototyping, and documentation.
• Supervise program participants throughout the park during all program activities and zoo tours, maintaining a minimum 1:6 staff to child ratio at all times. Assist program participants with all activities, games, and projects that relate to the designated program themes.
• Organize all daily supplies for activities including free play, arts and crafts, snack time, and games.
• Maintain open communication on a daily basis with parents and/or guardians of program participants regarding questions, concerns, discipline issues, daily activities, etc.
• Direct and/or delegate Seasonal Camp and NatureStart Programs Counselor Assistants to complete tasks as appropriate.
• Other related duties as assigned.