Health Services Researcher
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60684
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength.
Mathematica, a nationally recognized, nonpartisan research organization, has offices in Princeton, NJ, Washington, DC, Cambridge, MA, Ann Arbor, MI, Oakland, CA, Chicago, IL, Seattle, WA and Woodlawn, MD. We offer our employees a stimulating team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership. We encourage and provide support for staff to engage in professional activities such as journal publications and conference participation.
As a health researcher, you would join our group of over 100 health research professionals, which includes doctoral-level (Ph.D., D.Sc., D.Ph.) and physician researchers in the fields of public health, public policy, behavioral and social science, economics and data science, as well as M.P.H. and other master’s level analysts. Our work focused on a wide variety of topics, including health care delivery and payment reforms, public health insurance programs (Medicaid, Medicare, TRICARE), health care access and quality, data for health research, underserved and disadvantaged populations, social determinants of health, and more.
Duties of the position:
- Collaborate with senior staff to design rigorous studies to evaluate health care programs and policies using rigorous methods, conduct analyses, interpret findings, draft reports and present findings to key stakeholders and policy and professional audiences.
- Conduct research that applies impartial data collection, analysis, and reporting using quantitative and/or qualitative techniques.
- Help develop proposals for new research projects.
- Represent the company’s expertise through various mechanisms, such as publications, conferences, technical communications, and testimony.
- Contribute to the growth, expertise, and institutional knowledge of other research staff
- Ph.D. or equivalent in health services research, public health, public policy, economics, social sciences, data science or other relevant discipline.
- Strong foundation in quantitative and/or qualitative research methods and a broad understanding of health care and health policy issues in the United States.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to translate research findings for a policy audience.
- Ability to work well in teams.
Start dates for this position will range from summer to fall 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting in March 2020.
Please submit a cover letter, CV and writing sample or job market paper that demonstrates your analytic abilities and expertise in health. This position also requires that you submit reference letters as part of your application. Please have your references submit recommendation letters directly to Mathematica on your behalf to HumanResources@mathematica-mpr.com.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearances a condition of working on projects. If you work on such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
Available Locations: Ann Arbor, MI; Cambridge, MA; Princeton, NJ; Oakland, CA; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.