Gatehouse Line Attendant - Seasonal
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Lisle, IL 60532
Position Summary: Provide information and maintain a welcoming presence to visitors and guests as they enter the primary point of arrival at The Morton Arboretum.
Work is performed primarily outdoors and requires the ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Greet visitors in a friendly and welcoming manner.
- Distribute appropriate Arboretum literature, answer questions, and provide accurate and timely information to visitors.
- Direct guests quickly and efficiently through the Arboretum’s front entrance, and direct visitors and guests to the appropriate location for events/programs and staff appointments.
- Respond to emergency situations by sharing information with other Gatehouse Attendants as necessary. Coordinate with Security staff to properly direct emergency vehicles.
- Cross-train in other areas of Visitor Services as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: High school graduate required. Excellent verbal communication skills required. Must develop familiarity with Arboretum programs, people, mission, goals, facilities, and grounds. Must present professional image to the public by following the Arboretum/Visitor Services dress code. Must be comfortable walking amongst slow moving vehicles while communicating information. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience with Google applications beneficial. POS experience is preferred.
Success Factors: Find satisfaction and be energized by working with the public. Self-motivated and able to perform duties with limited supervision. Customer service-oriented individual who is able to relate effectively with people of various ages and backgrounds. Ability to problem-solve quickly and on the spot, while remaining professional. Assertive with the ability to maintain composure and a friendly manner with guests, especially in periods of high visitation, conflict, and emergencies.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires some physical activity: limited lifting (up to 30 lbs.), standing for long periods of time (up to 5 hours), and walking.
- Work Environment: Gatehouse building at entrance to the Arboretum. Work is performed primarily outdoors and requires the ability to work in all weather conditions. Workload ranges from very slow periods to very busy periods of visitation.
- Equipment: General office equipment, two-way radio, barcode scanner.
- Schedule: Flexible schedule required. Shifts are 4 to 7 hours in length and are primarily on weekends and holidays. Work schedules may be adjusted due to weather or changing visitor attendance.
The Morton Arboretum is a champion of diversity, supporting a culture of inclusion that attracts, inspires, and engages people to achieve success. The Arboretum is committed to hire and develop employees based on job-related qualifications irrespective of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran status. To increase diversity in professions related to the public garden realm, we encourage applications from underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The Morton Arboretum is dedicated to complying with our obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All applicants are guaranteed equal consideration for employment.