Internal Audit Manager
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60611
Internal Audit Manager
The American Medical Association (AMA), a nonprofit, is the nation’s largest professional Association of physicians. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America’s physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
As an employer, we are dedicated to many efforts, including employee learning and development, social responsibility, diversity and inclusion and wellness.
Our well-defined culture has strongly impacted the prosperity of our organization. Our foundational values of Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Impact, Collaboration, Agility and Trust are at the core of our efforts and continue to shape the success of the AMA.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Chicago for a Internal Audit Manager on our Finance team. As part of the team, you will coordinate efforts with the Director of Internal Audit to develop and execute the annual internal audit plan. Also, responsible for communicating results of the audit to senior leadership and provide recommendations on how to strengthen internal controls.
- Prepare a draft of the annual risk assessment and internal audit plan
- Manage and execute the approved audit plan
- Develop and implement customized procedures for each audit to focus on the most probable and severe risks of the business area as well as compliance with Association policies and procedures
- Document audit procedures by drafting an engagement memo for each audit including background of the business area to be audited, risks of the area and internal controls that should be in place to address risks; audit steps and procedures should be detailed in a formal audit program and results documented in the audit workpapers
- Evaluate effectiveness of internal controls and identify opportunities to implement best practices during the audit process
- Initiate and maintain communication with business unit management throughout the audit process
- Assist external auditors in the completion of annual audits of the Association; performs specific audit assignments at the direction of and in accordance with the audit policies and procedures of the outside auditor.
- Ensure timely completion and efficiency of the annual audit plan
- Manage special projects in the internal audit areas as assigned
Recommendations and Reporting
- Present results of audits to management, including Senior Management to make sure recommendations are understood and agreed upon
- Prepares written audit reports documenting results, audit recommendations and managements response for presentation to the Audit Committee
- Provide advice and counsel about recommendations to improve results and/or mitigate risk with management
May include other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting required
- CPA is required; CIA is a plus
- Minimum 5 years of work experience on the audit staff of a public accounting firm, or as an Internal auditor required; audit experience with large national organizations highly preferred
- Current knowledge of accounting and auditing standards (GAAP and GAAS)
- Demonstrated experience in organizational risk assessment process, annual audit plan creation and design and executing customized audits
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required for interaction with all levels of management
- Strong capabilities with Microsoft Office and database software; excellent data analytics skills required
- Sound judgement as demonstrated by ability to assess risk and recommend appropriate improvements
- Demonstrated conflict resolution and collaborative approach to problem solving
- Supervisory experience a plus
The AMA offers competitive salaries, including an incentive plan; excellent benefits and progressive technology. Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. Please apply for the position at https://ama-assn.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=2&c=ama-assn&id=1363. The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicants race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION