Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Springfield, IL 62703
We’re committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
This position requires management of the full project life cycle to meet client and Hanson’s expectations in regard to scope, budget/financial performance, schedule, quality, communications, risk management and health and safety of project staff. The successful candidate will work directly or indirectly with clients and project/market principals. He or she will coordinate with Practice Areas to staff each project and will subcontract as needed to fulfill project and client needs. We are looking for an organized, detail oriented and dedicated individual who will fit with our collaborative project-team culture. The job generally requires some overtime hours, especially around end-of-month accounting deadlines and when there are overlapping project schedules.
This position will be assigned to the Government market at Hanson, reports to the market principal, and will primarily manage state and federal (Department of Defense) projects on behalf of the market.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
The project manager is responsible for the planning, organizing, directing, executing and controlling/monitoring the scope of services, budget, schedule, deliverables and resources required to accomplish the project objectives. This position will typically manage large, complex and multi- discipline projects independently and may also manage indefinite delivery contracts or programs on behalf of a client with multiple projects occurring simultaneously. The responsibilities of the Project Manager (PM) include:
Collaborate with technical staff within the Practice Areas Interact with construction contractors, their staff, and subcontractors Guide and participate in assembling reports, plans, specifications and other contract documents Meet with clients to take detailed project scoping briefs and clarify the specific requirements of each project Delegate project tasks to assigned resources based on individual strengths, skill sets and experience levels Track project performance, specifically to analyze and control outcomes leading to the successful completion of short- and long-term goals Meet budgetary objectives and adjust project constraints based on financial analysis and forecasts Develop comprehensive project management plans to be shared with clients as well as project team members Use and continually develop leadership skills Plan and conduct project team meetings, both internal and external Other duties as assigned
- Can demonstrate knowledge of or quickly gain an understanding of accrual-based revenue recognition process and has ability to read and understand project budget/financial reports
- Can generate scope and fee for complex, multi-discipline professional service agreements
- Can demonstrate an understanding of earned value methodology and other project controls, such as scheduling and change management
- Can demonstrate or quickly gain an understanding of accounting terms as needed to understand project level financial reports
- Is committed to quality control procedures
- Can demonstrate an understanding of billing and accounts receivables procedures
- Serves as a trusted advisor to one or more clients and can develop repeat business from those clients
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple, related projects and navigate complex activities that span business units, organizations, regions and/or cultures and has aligned results with organizational goals
- Can develop complete project management plans (inclusive of all sub-parts such as change management plan, risk management plan, communications plan, health and safety plan, quality control plan, etc.)
- Can read and understand client and subcontractor agreements and has had or can complete contract risk review training
- 8-12 years’ experience in project management
- Experience with Department of Defense projects is a plus but not mandatory
- Familiarity with collaboration and project management software tools (eg. SmartSheet, iAccess, Deltek Vision Resource/Project Planning, Microsoft Project, AEC360/Microsoft Dynamics 365) or ability to learn them
- Experience with project process workflow and developing project work breakdown structures
- Can document, defend and achieve contract modifications for additional services including scope, fee and schedule increases
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or Program Management Professional (PgMP) is a plus but not mandatory
- Architectural and engineering project management experience is beneficial but is not mandatory provided there are strong project management skillsets and a willingness to learn
- Advanced time management and reasoning/critical thinking skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point and a basic understanding of Project Scheduling Platforms.
- Excellent project team and client-facing communication skills
- Must be able to communicate technical concepts to engineers, clients, and other stakeholders after consulting with or in collaboration with project team technical resources
- Must be able to build effective relationships with internal and external client bases and be able to effectively work with and manage project staff
- Must have proven ability to speak publicly and interact positively with clients, regulatory agencies, and contractors
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member to problem solve and learn new technical skills
- Must be able to develop new business with existing clients and/or new clients and can assist with project capture plans and tactical strategy for generating winning proposals and leads project team interviews
- Can demonstrate ability to develop a deep knowledge of client needs within a given market
- Can demonstrate team and client leadership capability and conflict resolution skills
- Must be able to effectively negotiate project scope and fee
Working at Hanson:
- Must be able to collaborate and work remotely with colleagues in other offices
- Must be willing to accept periodic out-of-town travel assignments
- Must be willing and able to work overtime to meet project demands and deadlines
- Must work within the matrix organizational structure adopted by Hanson inclusive of defined markets and practice areas