Manager, New Product Development Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Barrington, IL 60010
Cole-Parmer is a leading provider of precision equipment and consumables to pharmaceutical, life sciences, and environmental customers around the world. Our proprietary product lines include peristaltic fluid handling systems, test and measurement devices, air/water testing equipment and consumables, and a range of laboratory essentials products all critical components in scientific research and production.Job Description
Job Title: Manager, Engineering New Product Development
Reports To: Director, Engineering
Position Location: Barrington, IL
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt): Exempt
The Engineering Manager, New Product Development is responsible for leading the NPD Engineering Team in delivering new product and developing and executing on a clear product roadmap on time and on budget to ensure Cole-Parmer’s competitive advantage in the market. This position is a hands-on role that requires someone who is able to provide day to day leadership to the team and at the same time focus on the big picture. In this position, the individual must be very detailed with strong organizational skills and an ability to work with and through others. This role works in strong collaboration with Product Management, Operations and Sustaining Engineering.
· Primary responsibility is to develop proprietary products resulting in strong revenue growth.
· Provides technical leadership and direct an innovative Engineering organization that delivers high quality, cost effective, and state of the art pump system solutions.
· Responsible for meeting financial goals and managing a budget.
· Participate as an active member in the development of business strategy, growth plans, and new product development initiatives.
· Establish priorities for utilization of Engineering resources for new product development.
· Promote process changes to improve completion schedules and cost reductions in products and department expenses.
· Support marketing and sales in development of product specifications.
· Support outsourcing programs and key procurement initiatives.
· Provides leadership, coaching, performance reviews, and other personnel management functions for engineering staff.
· Evaluates and decides on best problem solving-solution to ensure the balance among time, cost, and quality objectives throughout program life.
· Guides the team to create innovative solutions.
· Bachelor or Master of Science (preferred) in an engineering discipline (ABET accredited university)
· Four years prior managerial experience leading a cross-discipline engineering team in developing medium-volume embedded system products
· Ten years hands-on design and/or project management experience in an embedded product environment.
· Experience following a formalized phase-gate process with a record of “conception through production” accomplishments.
· Strong problem-solving skills including identifying problems, potential problems, and developing solutions; Must be able to analyze complex data, situations and develop a range of solutions.
· Proven track record of creativity and innovation
· Experience in working with suppliers/partners
· Strong project management skills with the ability to manage dependencies and drive team together toward a successful product completion and roll-out
· Strong team player with the ability to engage and influence functional experts from a wide range of functional areas
· Thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, efficiently works under pressures, within deadlines or other time essential constraints.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to clearly and concisely communicate to all levels of the organization.
· Strong work ethic and an ability to excel within a rapidly changing and growing organization.
· Demonstrated performance in the areas of leadership, change management and continuous improvement.This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all of the duties and responsibilities associated with it.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.