Director of Engineering
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Beecher, IL 60401
Director of Engineering
+ 449 W Corning Rd, Beecher, IL 60401, USA
+ FLSA Status: ExemptCompany Description
Illinois Tool Works or ITW (NYSE: ITW, www.itw.com ) one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables, and related service businesses. ITW businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe with operations in 55 countries that employ more than 48,000 women and men who adhere to the highest ethical standards.
The MIG Gun Division, a division of ITW, provides innovative and high-quality MIG welding gun consumables, semi-automatic torches and automation solutions marketed under the brand names Tregaskiss, Bernard and Miller.Job Description ROLE DESCRIPTION
This is a division-level, functional leadership role with responsibility for the product engineering team including all people, projects and processes. The product engineering team is tasked with new product development as well as sustaining engineering activities to innovate and maintain MIG welding products. This role will help drive organic growth for the division through timely execution of projects and delivery of high-quality, differentiated products.
This position will report directly to Vice President & General Manager of MIG Gun Division. Direct reports to this position include Engineering Manager for Beecher, IL and Engineering Manager for Windsor, Ontario.RESPONSIBILITIES
· Functional Leadership:
o Develop and execute a technology vision including identifying R&D requirements.
o Oversee all sustaining engineering and new product development activities including managing the NPD pipeline for the division and improving engineering processes.
o Contribute to the division business strategy, long-range plan and annual plan.
o Establish, monitor and adjust (as necessary) annual engineering budgets.
o Provide engineering guidance to balance the drive for platform & parts commonality with the need for unique customer-back innovation and specific customer configurations.
o Lead divisional technical efforts to understand and comply with all regulatory and industry compliance requirements.
o Report on engineering activities to the division, platform & segment leadership as required.
· Project Management:
o Create discipline around and structured use of division’s new product development process to streamline development process and accelerate time-to-market.
o Serve as project manager for key innovation projects including leading multi-functional teams, setting NPD objectives, timelines and monitoring overall ongoing progress and performance.
o Lead technical teams responsible for specific portions of an overall project (such as software implementation) and be responsible for project updates and adherence to set standards.
· Cross-functional and cross-divisional collaboration:
o Serve as primary technical interface to engineering leadership in other ITW divisions including the joint development of scope, timeline and deliverables for cross-divisional collaboration.
o Responsible for the division’s intellectual property portfolio and working with ITW legal team to develop IP strategy, monitor patent awards and pursue infringement actions.
o Lead engagement with marketing team to establish product roadmaps & product specifications.
o Lead engagement with technical services team to solve existing product issues and identify opportunities to improve product serviceability.
o Lead engagement with marketing and operations to identify and prioritize opportunities for value analysis and value engineering (VA/VE) and may be involved in vendor selection.
· Talent management and development:
o Identify key engineering skills and resource needs (internal & external) to achieve annual and long-range plan deliverables.
o Provide professional growth opportunities through mentorship and implementation of training opportunities.Qualifications EDUCATIONAL & WORK EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering is required. Advanced engineering degree preferred.
· Given the strategic and leadership nature of this position, an MBA is preferred.
· Minimum of 7+ years of product engineering experience with strong background in mechanical engineering and industrial product design.
· 3+ years’ experience in collaborating with marketing on product and technology strategies.
· Experience with metal materials (aluminum, copper, brass) and/or manufacturing process (machining, casting, molding, etc.) preferred.
· General understanding of electrical & software as related to industrial product design including IoT.
· Innovation project management experience including leadership of stage-gate new product development process.
· High mechanical aptitude and good understanding of how products are manufactured.
· Familiarity with MIG Welding equipment, process, and/or industrial automation preferred.SKILLS & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
· Ability to lead, mentor, and direct a technical team.
· Ability to work with cross-functional teams.
· Excellent facilitation and project management skills.
· Ability to lead multiple product development initiatives simultaneously.
· Demonstrate strong business acumen and understanding of overall business objectives.
· Be a trusted business partner using sound judgment and discretion in management of business and customer information.
· Excellent written & verbal communication skills including strong computer skills in MS Office.
· Ability to make independent decisions and regularly suggest ways to improve.TRAVEL EXPECTATIONS
· Up to 40% Travel within United States, Canada and international countries as required.Additional Information
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.Job Location
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.