Medical Office Assistant: Pain Clinic
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Peoria, IL 61606
Medical Office Assistant
Methodist Hospital: Pain Center
Full-time, BenefittedMonday-Friday, Day shift
Performs a variety of clinical and clerical activities to expedite the patient flow and business activities of the medical office.
About UnityPoint Health:
Our team members are the compassionate core of who we are and how we serve. Every day we strive to live out our vision statement of “Best outcome every patient every time” through living out our FOCUS values of Foster Unity, Own the Moment, Champion Excellence, and Seize Opportunities.
At UnityPoint Health, we provide care in nine regions throughout Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin. As the nation’s fourth largest nondenominational health system in America, UnityPoint Health keeps people at the center of all we do. We are looking for dynamic and talented individuals to join our team. You’ll find opportunities for every sized dream.
Want to know about our culture and benefits? Click here to find out more: https://uphtotalrewards.com/.
% of Time
Assists the nurse and providers to assure quality healthcare and a smooth, orderly flow of patients through the office.
· Prepares the patients for provider by taking appropriate vital signs and screening general medical health.
· Obtains lab specimens from patients, as needed.
· Supports providers and nurses in their day to day duties by sharing necessary information to assure the delivery of quality healthcare to patients.
· Possesses flexibility in the work environment in order to promote a smooth, orderly flow of patients through the office in a timely and efficient manner.
· Transports patients to vehicles
· Orders linens, nutrients, and supplies.
· Checks for expired supplies and dispose of them properly
Assists in the maintenance of a therapeutic environment that promotes effective and cost-efficient patient care and that provides for the safety of patients, staff and visitors.
· Possesses knowledge about safety policies of the office, as well as the established policies and procedures of the organization.
· Works independently within the established guidelines of the practice.
· Responsible for keeping exam rooms and procedure areas cleaned.
· Actively participates in the decontamination of instruments.
· Assists in scheduling follow up appointments.
Assists the provider and nurse as needed with office procedures and exams.
· Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to patients of all ages.
· Assists the nurse in the procedure area.
· Participates in learning new procedures, policies, equipment and treatments.
· Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to do point of care waived testing.
· Performs lab testing and quality control in compliance with provider’s orders and lab procedures/policies.
Assures that patient education is provides when appropriate, in a caring and professional manner. Assists the clerical staff in assuring optimal workflow and quality patient care.
· Assists the nursing staff with patient education involving a wide variety of health related subjects.
· Participates in continuing education by attending various meetings.
· Assists the clerical staff by answering the telephone and taking message; scheduling appointment; retrieving charts for the day; scanning and filing any papers or charts that need to be filed.
· Assists with a full range of front office operations as required.
· Assists the clerical staff by copying patient education materials.
· Competent in the use of all office computer systems.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
High School diploma or Certification in the field of Medical Office Assisting
Previous experience with clinical and clerical experience in a physician office preferred.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 30 days of hire/start date.
Required English Skills
Basic reading skills
Basic writing skills
Basic oral skills
Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
Interaction with a wide variety of people
Maintain confidential information
Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information
Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor
Intermediate computer knowledge: Ability to troubleshoot minor problems within a Windows OS, operates within a network environment, uses spreadsheet, database, word processing and internet applications proficiently. Learns new applications without difficulty and is able to aid others in immediate work area with computer questions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities/hospitals.
Required to drive your own vehicle for business purposes.
Requisition ID: 2020-79660
Street: 900 Main St
Name: 5020 UnityPoint Health Methodist Medical Center
Name: Methodist Pain Mgmt- MMCI
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: Monday-Friday Day Shi