Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60611
Operates, maintains, and repairs the hospital infrastructure and appliances to keep these systems and equipment operating efficiently/safely, avoiding unscheduled shutdowns, and extending the useful operating life. The Facilities Lead Position Description incorporates several roles with different trade specialties who’s Essential Job Functions are described below. The General Responsibilities for all roles are:
1. Assists in the supervision and direction of the staff in their trade specialty to optimize service level, safety, quality and efficiency. Provides feedback to the manager on staff for performance reviews. Works to perform all repair work with internal resources before issuing work to outside vendors and contractors.
2. This position will focus on quality, safety and efficiency in all aspects of the role and responsibility. Responsible for safety on all specialty specific areas of work.
3. Assists managers with prioritizing work assignments, service responses, and projects according to importance, and assigns work orders as necessary. Supports all other Lead positions and off-site staff when necessary.
4. Responds to emergency malfunction events. Accesses situation and takes action to stabilize the situation to avoid further damage and risk. Documents off-normal incidents.
5. Works with drawings, documentation, vendors and subcontractors to estimate, budget and recommend projects. Assist managers to negotiate estimates and solicit proposals.
6. Reviews and critiques construction plans to provide feedback regarding constructability within existing systems and adherence to Facility Operations standards for manufacturers and installation. Recommends service tie-in locations and shutdowns.
7. Maintains trade specific supply and parts inventories. Completes purchase requisitions for needed stock parts and emergency parts orders. Monitors cost and spending on parts and equipment and recommends products that provide the greatest value for the organization.
Records time and materials (where required) expended on computerized work order system. Following manufactures and regulatory specifications reviews and updates trade specific infrastructure systems and equipment preventive maintenance records and schedules. Works to identify work order tasks that can be performed more efficiently and in collaboration with other scope.
8. The position follows regulatory agency compliance requirements, supports the hospital mission and goal objectives, the department quality improvement and operating goals, as well as customer service excellence principles goals, individually and as an effective team member.
9. Work with trade specific contractors to provide direction, oversight, and coordination of their work. In addition assess the quality of their work and supervises maintenance and repairs.
10. Must have good communication and people skills for working with Facility Services department staff, other Lurie staff, and outside vendors.
11. Must completely understand and be able to perform the tasks of the trade specialty staff that they are leading.
1. Operates electrical services, lighting, fire alarm systems, and electrical equipment safely and efficiently.
2. Assists managers as directed to schedule the testing of the fire alarm systems, the generators and all associated equipment. Partner with manager to document and file regulatory documentation in applicable locations (White Books, etc.) Responsible to follow up and schedule repairs of any deficiencies identified during the testing.
3. Oversees preventive and corrective maintenance on the hospital’s electrical power distribution systems, lighting, life safety systems, and electric machinery.
4. Evaluates the condition of electrical systems and recommends repair or replace actions. Able to troubleshoot electrical controls and power problems without assistance.
5. Investigates electric service, fire alarm, and sprinkler/ fire suppression system shutdowns, initiates shutdowns and reactivations. Oversees the installation of electric services and equipment by outside contractors and records deficiencies on punch list. Participates in system start-up and commissioning.
6. Utilizes and maintains tools and instruments associated with the electrician trade.
7. Provides scope recommendations for electrical power, lighting, and fire alarm repair, improvement, or upgrade projects.
8. Teaches and mentors above activities to electricians and other engineering staff.
9. Experience in electrical construction is required.
10. Supervising Electrician License is preferred.
11. Supports the Lead Stationary & BAS Specialist in the Energy Efficiency Program for the medical center.
1. A high school or trade school diploma or equivalent with coursework in math, science, reading blueprints and equipment schematics is required.
2. Current City of Chicago stationary engineer license is required. Must be a journeyman electrician or have extensive electrical background.
3. A minimum of five years previous experience as a licensed stationary engineer engaged in the operation of high pressure boilers is required.
4. Experience in a health care or comparable institution is required.
5. Working knowledge of building and life safety codes in health care occupancies with specific knowledge of city boiler operating codes required.
6. Valid driver’s license preferred.
7. Knowledge of and practices personal safety, hospital infection control and life safety procedures required. Utilizes personal protective equipment including: eyesight, respiratory and hearing protective devices.
8. Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of energy conservation methods, systems, equipment, and software.
9. Must be able to use MS Excel, Word, and Outlook.
10. Good leadership and communication skills are critical.
11. Good organizational skills and sense for details is highly preferred.
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.