Senior Database Developer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60606
The National Restaurant Association is looking for a forward-thinking and innovative Senior Database Developer. As a collaborative member of our technology team, you will play an integral role in the evolution of our enterprise data and business intelligence solutions, working on a variety of database, business intelligence, reporting and application development initiatives.
Ideal candidates bring minimum 5 years database development experience working with Microsoft SQL Server, proven understanding of database server architectures and advanced skills working within operational and data warehousing systems. In addition to the necessary technical and analytical competencies, position requires a highly effective communicator with strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, plus keen trouble-shooting abilities. Previous experience working with Power BI and in Agile environments, highly desirable.
• Determine business requirements, design and implement complex data models.
• Create logical models, build physical models and create databases from the ground up.
• Analyze SQL code and develop/alter stored procedures, triggers, SSIS packages, and SQL jobs where appropriate.
• Work on data migration projects to build migration scripts that integrate with on premise and external applications.
• Review database design and code written by other database and software engineers.
• Collaborate with the application development team and ensure that overall application design is optimal.
• Design, implement and operate database systems for scalability, extensibility, performance and reliability.
• Troubleshoot and identify SQL object issues in all environments when needed
• Optimize poorly performing SQL queries identified using the SQL profiler.
• Design, implement and maintain data warehouses using the SQL Server toolset.
• Manage requests and scheduling for production reports.
• Work with business units to ensure accuracy of data and reports.
• Manage the support of multiple application systems and their databases.
• Provide excellent customer service by responding to help desk user requests as assigned.
• Work within the defined change management and configuration management processes
• Assess data quality and report patterns, trends and issues.
• Provide input into and drafts IT policies and procedures as applicable
• Support/Develop/Design Reporting and Analytics solutions utilizing
o SQL Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2017, 2019, and SQL Azure
o Dimensional design
o Power BI
o DQS (Melissa Data)
o SSAS (not required, but a plus)
o Synapse Analytics (not required, but a plus)
• Works on special projects and other duties as required helping to promote department’s success.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Data Processing or equivalent knowledge and/or work experience. Master’s Degree in related field is preferred, but not required.
• Minimum 5 years Database Development experience with Microsoft SQL Server and strong understanding of database server architectures.
• Strong knowledge of systems and software development lifecycles; application integration techniques; and relational database design.
• Strong knowledge of master data management, data warehousing and business intelligence architecture.
• Experience in data modeling and database design with excellent knowledge of SQL Server best practices.
• Ability to develop and debug complex stored procedures, functions and triggers in T-SQL.
• Experience in performance tuning complex queries and procedures with excellent understanding of indexing strategies.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in SSIS/SSDT for ETL, and SSRS for report generation.
• Experience in Power BI a strong plus.
• Familiarity with data modeling, reporting and analytical tools such as Erwin, Tableau, Excel and other relevant specialized systems.
• Strong understanding of code promotion, version control, and QA processes and procedures.
• Must be able to use project management skills to coordinate and manage tasks with users, IT Infrastructure and IT Analysis and Development units.
• Experience working in Agile environment (Scrum, Lean, Kanban) is a plus.
• Experience in NetSuite, Salesforce and Workato highly desirable.
• Ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts and programs across technical and non-technical audiences.
• Strong organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
• Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
• Knowledge and experience in all phases of the development life cycle.
• Strong technical aptitude.
• Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently; a self-initiator, versatile and assumes risk with responsibility.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work records.
•Significant business and stakeholder relationship building experience.
• Highly effective communication skills in written and verbal formats; showcases clear and concise manner.