Tax Processing Specialist II
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Naperville, IL 60540
Perform a wide range of sales and use tax (SUT) compliance functions in a team-based, collaborative environment. Function as the dedicated specialist to assigned clients. Accountable for the accuracy, integrity, and timely filing of the client’s returns and payments. This preparer will have the responsibility of maintaining the client relationship and will interact directly with the client.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Prepare Clients’ sales and use tax returns for the time sensitive SUT compliance cycle. This will include:
- Communicate frequently with Client contacts via phone and e-mail
- Review Client tax data for accuracy, investigate questionable data and take corrective action when necessary
- Manage Clients’ soft and hard files
- Import monthly tax data to Vertex Returns software
- Confirm Client approvals and process any requested changes
- Collaborate with other staff to address the submissions of returns and payments
- Initiate electronic filings and payments in a timely manner
- Prepare and maintain monthly client summary reports
- Track notices from taxing jurisdictions to ensure proper documentation and timely resolution
- Prepare and submit sales tax registrations on behalf of clients Reconcile bank activity for each Client
- Exercise significant and independent professional judgment to resolve basic tax reporting problems
- Provide filing and notice support to senior level employees
- Participate in other projects or duties
- Ability to accommodate additional hours as needed during the monthly peak processing period, which is between the 5th and the 20th of each month.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Fundamental knowledge of multi-state tax preparing software and preparation of SUT returns
- Intermediate Microsoft Word and Excel skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Must be detailed and results oriented
- Must be customer focused, and a team player
- Must be able to work under tight monthly deadlines, with strong organizational skills
- Strong diplomacy skills are required
- Ability to manage job-related and personal stress effectively
- Must manage time and priorities effectively by completing tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to develop and apply professional concepts to resolve issues
- Ability to work independently on routine work, with more guidance on new projects or assignments
- Ability to build productive internal/external working relationships
- Ability to display sound judgement and problem solving.
- Ability to listen and understand information and communicate the same
- Ability to follow detailed practices and procedures
- Sufficient knowledge of business communications, including telephone, voicemail, and e-mail, and operations of office machines, such as photocopier, scanner, and fax
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or equivalent experience required
- 2 years of sales & use tax or equivalent experience required
REQUIRED FOUNDATIONAL COMPETENCIES:
- Builds Relationships: Fosters open dialogue and obtains shared commitment to proposals; shared ideas and information to promote mutual understanding, respect, and effective decision-making.
- Drives for Results: Acts to create opportunities for Vertex or to avoid future problems; has the courage to act with incomplete information rather than simply thinking about it; maintains a focused commitment to achieving enterprise objectives.
- Knows the Business: Understands and applies knowledge of Vertex’s business and processes to accomplish goals.
- Anticipates Customer Needs (internal and external): Establishes and maintains productive relationships with customers and partners, anticipating their needs.
- Learns Continuously: Expands own knowledge base to enhance performance; seeks development to increase strengths for current and future needs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals in this position. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Equal Opportunity Employer?minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity