Patient Placement Representative
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Decatur, IL 62521
Patient Placement Representative
Clerical, Administrative and Business Support
The Patient Placement Representative is a role that is dedicated to managing all admission requests and patient flow within the hospital. In this role the Patient Placement Representative assesses and assigns all scheduled and unscheduled admission requests to the appropriate inpatient bed. The Patient Placement Representative is involved in navigating complex admission and transfer requests by working directly with physicians, charge nurses, UR nurses and other leaders within the organization. The Patient Placement Representative is also responsible for collaborating with UR nurses to determine the level of care screening. This role is instrumental in overall hospital operations. Candidates for this role would include persons with health care preferably hospital experience who have good organization, communication and customer service skills. This is primarily a desk job with the ability and occasional need for in person discussions within patient care units.
Education and/or Other Requirements
High school diploma, Medical Terminology preferred, C.N.A. Certification or Certified Medical Assistant preferred. Basic typing skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Must be able to simultaneously take direction from multiple people, manage multiple complex activities and prioritize tasks.
- Self-directed and able to take the initiative to proactively solve problems.
- Work as a team with all levels of DMH employees.
- Ability to resolve difficult interactions with physicians, nursing staff and others.
- Flexibility to work in an environment of constantly changing priorities and work volume.
Occasional exposure to moderate environmental variations, above-normal noise levels, and/or unpleasant substances. Potential daily exposure to hazardous potential injurious elements or conditions. The employee may be exposed to blood, body fluids/tissues.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of the job the employee is required to walk and stand.
- Extensive keyboard, monitor, and mouse use.
- Occasional business-related travel might be required.
- Potential of carrying of light loads (1 to 5 pounds).
- Analyze information or data.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to work under stress and adapt to changing conditions.
- Ability to adjust to performing routine and repetitive tasks without specific supervision.
- Ability to understand and relate to the concepts behind specific ideas and remember multiple tasks given to self and others over long periods of time.
- Ability to communicate in oral and written form, using advanced level of vocabulary.
- Comprehend written basic instructions, safety rules, and office memoranda.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist an otherwise qualified individual in the performance of the job. In order to meet the needs of the Company employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above.
Essential Functions and Job Duties
- Receives patient placement requests from admitting, outside hospitals, Transfer Center, outpatient clinics, Emergency Department, community physicians, post-surgery patients (PACU), Labor & Delivery, and nursing units and obtains all information pertinent to assessing Decatur Memorial Hospital placement capability.
- Utilizes the Epic Bed Board tool to enter patient information on bed board and determine if an appropriate bed is available based on placement requirements. Communicates placement decision and expected arrival time to receiving nursing unit, DMH Admitting and the party requesting the bed.
- Enters all necessary pre-admit information on the bed board at the time of request to ensure accuracy of information.
- Uses the bed board system and Qliq to send appropriate messages to communicate patient assignments and movements to nursing and environmental services.
- Keeps detailed data on deferred and delayed patient admissions, providing weekly updates on patient placement issues.
- Prints and reviews operating room (OR) schedule to obtain finalized admissions from surgery. Ensures that beds are reserved on the bed board and that placements of surgical patients are communicated to the post anesthesia care unit (PACU).
- Monitors the bed board continuously throughout the shift to ensure timely placement of patients. . Immediately notifies Administrative Nursing Supervisor of potential complications.
- Responsible for closing and opening beds on bed board and communicating bed closures to appropriate people and estimated time bed will reopen.
- Reviews expected admissions for the next day, reconciling with anticipated discharges to ensure bed availability. Provides report during bed meetings to advise of potential placement issues.
- Identifies vacated beds through monitoring of bed board and upgrades bed cleaning priority level as required (e.g., STAT, Clean Next. Dirty). Ensures that STAT and Clean Next requests receive timely response from housekeeping staff. Escalates any bed cleaning delay to Environmental Services supervisor.
- Utilizes census and staffing level data at beginning of shift to identify. High-risk areas. Determines proactive solution and work with Discharge Planners and Administrative Nursing Supervisor to alleviate high risk areas before problem occurs.
- Delivers CMS and other forms and education to patients as needed.
- Prepares and fax necessary documentation/information to facilitate communication with other departments and outside customers.
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Memorial Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.