Sterile Processing Technician, Javon Bea Hospital
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Rockford, IL 61114
Experience a rewarding and fulfilling career with Mercyhealth. Mercyhealth is committed to offering our partners a best place to work. Our unique workplace Culture of Excellence is built upon:
- Employee engagement, empowerment and growth
- Teamwork toward our common goal – providing exceptional health care services with a passion for making lives better
- An atmosphere of caring and quality that cascades throughout the organization
Essential duties and Responsibilities
- Disassembles, inspects, and prepares instruments for manual or mechanical decontamination following Universal Precautions and proper use of PPE at all times.
- Loads and operates mechanical washers and ultrasonic cleaners. Manually decontaminates and disinfects instruments as appropriate.
- Inspects clean instruments for damage and tests for proper function and sharpness.
- Assembles all instrument procedure sets according to the prescribed manner using tray lists as a guide. Replaces missing instruments as required to complete instrument sets.
- Prepares instruments for sterilization using aseptic technique, including wrapping or packaging for sterilization, using chemical indicators, and properly marking packages with identifying data.
- Loads and operates steam and hydrogen peroxide sterilizers.
- Uses biological, chemical, and process indictors appropriately, and reviews and documents results in appropriate logs. Reviews physical monitoring printouts to confirm cycle parameters.
- Picks supplies and instruments to prepare case carts according to procedural preference lists. Inspects packaging for damage to ensure integrity of sterility for all items, and inspects all items for outdates before distributing to customers.
- Performs high-level disinfection of endoscopes. Loads and operates automatic endoscope reprocessors.
- Answers telephone and responds to customer routine and urgent requests for supplies, instruments, and case carts in a professional and expedient manner at all times. Notifies department leadership of facility and equipment problems, and submits work requests as needed.
- Maintains assigned work areas and equipment in a clean and organized condition to meet standards for handling clean and sterile items, and to maintain a safe work environment.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all surgical instrumentation. Maintains a working knowledge of instrument assembly and tracking software.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent
Minimum one year sterile processing experience preferred
Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) through IAHCSMM preferred
Special Physical Demands
The Special Physical Demands are considered Essential Job Functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is constantly required to stand and use hands to handle, finger, or feel. The employee is frequently required to walk, reach, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 lbs. and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities include close vision, color vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
EOE&AA/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Mercy is an equal employment opportunity employer functioning under Affirmative Action Plans.