Associate Editor - Health and Health Sciences
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Tinley Park , IL 60477
Job Opening Announcement
Associate Editor HHS
Goodheart-Willcox Publisher, Experts in Career and Technical Education (CTE), is seeking an Associate Editor for the Health and Health Sciences group. The Associate Editor will be responsible for the completion of all editorial tasks for an assigned portion of a project. This individual will collaborate with authors to develop high quality, market-leading products, communicates with reviewers and customers in a professional manner, and meets or exceeds deadlines for assigned tasks. The ideal candidate will have experience with research, and have a basic understanding of instructional design principles and pedagogical frameworks.
What youll do:
- Work with authors and the publishing team as directed to successfully manage revisions/new products from planning through publication.
- Assist with reviewing and executing product development plans and market development plans for new or revised titles in synchronization with the overall goals and editorial investment strategy for a given edition of the work.
Work with author, team members, and cross-functional stakeholders effectively and collaboratively through all stages of the publishing process.
- Monitor and manage progress of development to ensure timely editorial delivery as planned.
- With the support of a mentoring editor, provide direction, guidance, and feedback to authors/outside developers throughout the manuscript development process with respect to text narrative, illustrations, pedagogy, and supplements.
- Facilitate and execute assigned steps in the development, editing, and production preparatory stagesincluding steps such as accuracy checks, accessibility planning and preparation, deliverable planning and tracking, formatting, and proper preparation of manuscript materials for downstream customerto ensure accurate, timely, and complete execution of each step in the development process for core and supplemental products.
- Edit (for content accuracy, appropriateness, grammar, and style consistency), research, and write (as needed) manuscript for products.
- Edit, design/create, and obtain illustrations, tables, charts, and photographic images, along with appropriate permissions, for products.
- Edit and write, as needed, special features, lesson plans, assessments, activities, and illustration captions, and similar elements, as needed.
- Ensure that textbook manuscript includes coverage of applicable state standards and/or certification criteria and develop appropriate correlation charts as needed.
- Prepare manuscript in accordance with production guidelines, and review proof and corrected pages.
- Help find and choose qualified reviewers. Work with reviewers to ensure accuracy and appropriateness of manuscript.
Present product information to sales staff at annual sales conference, and periodically as needed for specific products to facilitate sales. Help develop or review catalog copy and other promotional pieces.
- Provide in-house training about assigned products, as needed.
- Assist with exhibits at meetings and conventions, as needed.
- Maintain and continuously improve knowledge of current trends and practices in career and technical education, and of content, market needs, and competing products for applicable disciplines and areas.
What youll bring:
- Bachelor degree required.
- Prior internship experienced required.
Minimum of one year of experience working in an office required.
Minimum of two years of textbook writing and editing experience preferred.
- Must have excellent knowledge of basic oral and written language skills needed to perform the tasks described above, specifically, sufficient grammar and usage skills to edit manuscript and create text copy at a level acceptable to Goodheart-Willcox publishing standards.
- Must be proficient in basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Windows.
- Degrees in English, Publishing Studies, Journalism, or one of the fields of career and technical education preferred.
- Work experience in topics applicable to specific career and technical education subject matter is a plus.
- Teaching experience or college coursework in educational instruction or design preferred.
- Interest, experience, or aptitude in one or more specific subject areas in which the position will be primarily focused.
What its like to work here:
At Goodheart-Willcox Publisher, you will be working in a professional environment, supported by a passionate and energetic team that is invested in your growth and success. This is your chance to join an established employee-owned company that has been publishing for the Career and Technical Education field since 1921. Driven by the mission We Build Careers, you will help educators implement and access our premier instructional materials, which helps students find and keep great careers, all while growing your own. Goodheart-Willcox has spent nearly a century building a culture that we are proud of. Our team members embody these core values:
Roll up your sleeves
Do the right thing
Goodheart-Willcox Publisher provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, ancestry and marital status, and other protected classes, in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
In addition, Goodheart-Willcox Publisher complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination of employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leave of absence, compensation, and training.