Electrical and Controls Project Engineer
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Imagine…working for a company that knows that its people are the key to its success in the marketplace. A company in which achieving extraordinary results and having a stimulating work experience are part of the same process.
We cultivate and embrace a diverse employee population. We recognize that people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives fuel our growth and enrich our global culture.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team oriented environment, likes to be challenged, and values the opportunity to make a difference.
Create strategic vision for Electrical and Controls / Automation, and in partnership with the Regional IT Manager / Local Plant IT Resource, execute on these associated needs throughout the plant. Provide capital project leadership and automation expertise for the specification, installation, start-up, and operation of plant equipment. Serve as site subject matter expert on automation, instrumentation, controls, and electrical systems. Support maintenance training and advanced troubleshooting of control systems.
- (25%) Create and execute on strategic vision for automation and IT systems. Take initiative to develop new approaches and solutions that align with Company strategy and plant objectives. Participate in defining engineering standards. Site subject matter expert on manufacturing automation equipment and control systems; supporting both new equipment installations and optimization of existing equipment. Have functional and technical responsibilities across multiple engineering disciplines.
- (15%) Develop strategic replacement plan for obsolete electrical, controls and automation hardware. Provide capital project development and execution in support of obsolete hardware replacement.
- (35%) Job duties include development and management of capital projects. Related tasks include estimation, equipment specifications, project approvals, vendor selection, equipment installation, startup and training.
- (10%) Support advanced troubleshooting, maintenance and / or repair of the plants computer driven controls systems, the plants mechanical and electromechanical equipment in conjunction with maintenance personnel. Identify and implement training and resources needed for maintenance personnel.
- (10%) In partnership with the Regional IT Manager / Local Plant IT Resource, perform the implementation and maintenance of computer-based information systems. Evaluate plant IT needs and make recommendations to the Regional IT Manager and Site Engineering & Maintenance Managers for hardware/software, peripherals, etc., including capital projects.
- (5%) Perform other duties as directed.
- Resolve complex scheduling and technical issues with multi-trade contractors, construction managers, equipment fabricators, design engineering firms, and Company representatives. Oversee and approve all aspects of design and installation, scheduling, and capital funds.
- Design and implement cost-effective equipment modifications to help improve safety, reliability and throughput.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Minimum education required: Bachelors Degree.
- Years of relevant experience: 5 to 7 years
- Experience with high-speed automation equipment, including PLC’s, HMI’s, Thin Clients, VF Drives, Servo Drives, Managed Ethernet Switches and Vision Systems
- Experience with P&ID Controllers and associated control algorithms
- Experience with both Discrete and Analog Instruments and Sensing devices including Photoelectric, Inductive, Pressure, Temperature, Flow sensors, etc. and Control / On-Off Valves
- Proficient with Rockwell Automation PLCs, HMI, VF Drives and Managed Switch programming and software.
- Familiarity with ISA standards and Instrument datasheet development
- Experience interpreting / developing Process & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Solid understanding of PC based systems
- Ability to work in a team orientated environment
- Must have ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Assist with support of Windows Server based platforms
- Strong communication skills
Knowledge, skills and abilities preferred:
- Knowledge of transformers, power distribution, switchgear, and motor control center equipment
- Knowledge of utility systems including boilers, refrigeration and HVAC
- Knowledge of OSHA / NEC / NFPA Electrical regulations, including Arc Flash hazards
- Knowledge of Robotics / Robotics-related automation a plus
- Advanced computer skills in MS Project, MS Office
- Working knowledge of Auto Cad
- Knowledge of plant-floor and office LAN/WAN network technology / hardware
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and ability to troubleshoot complex systems
- Wonderware experience a plus
- VMWare vSphere knowledge a plus
- Office and plant environment, with exposure to industrial noise, moving mechanical parts, electrical-powered equipment, temperature extremes, and elevated work stations occurs in operating areas of the plant.
- Approximately 40% of job duties to be plant-floor based (60% in office).
- Less than 5% travel is anticipated.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
“The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
In that regard, U.S. applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information."