Manager, US Midwest States, AWS Public Policy
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Chicago, IL 60607
We are looking for a talented, innovative, and experienced individual to represent Amazon Web Services (AWS), the cloud computing business of Amazon, before state and local policymakers, and senior government executives in the Midwest US. This role on the AWS Public Policy team is focused on increasing adoption of cloud computing services throughout the region, supporting our technology infrastructure and operations, and advancing other policy priorities across the Midwest region. You will address risks and opportunities for AWS and our customers at the state and local level and within educational institutions. This position will achieve goals through a variety of tactics, including direct lobbying, managing consultants, leveraging AWS’s participation in key trade associations, and building coalitions that are critical to advancing AWS’s public policy and business objectives in the state and local government and education sectors. You will become familiar with all aspects of AWS’s public sector and commercial businesses, and interface directly with relevant business units and technology and services teams at AWS to develop and execute effective government affairs advocacy strategies to create a policy environment that promotes cloud adoption and helps customers succeed.
Reporting to the Head of State, Local and Education Public Policy for AWS, this government affairs position shall:
- Assist in developing and executing government affairs advocacy objectives and public policy priorities for AWS in Midwest US states, including Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin;
- Identify and communicate potential state, local, and education public sector market segment and public policy opportunities and threats, develop enhancement or mitigation strategies and policy positions; manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs and key initiatives in concert with AWS business objectives;
- Facilitate high-level meetings between AWS executives and key stakeholders, including state and local policy makers and executives, industry associations, and alliance partners to promote and advocate the company’s public policy policies;
- Leverage appropriate corporate membership opportunities in industry associations and policy organizations on behalf of AWS, and ensure appropriate utilization of outside consultants; and
- Based in Chicago, Illinois. Some travel required.
- At least 6+ years of experience with state lobbying and/or commensurate legislative or executive branch experience or 6+ years of experience representing a large company or association, preferably but not necessarily in the Internet/tech industry, before state and local policymakers, including significant experience on public sector acquisition and procurement policy, preferably in states such as Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in a relevant discipline (Political Science, Public Policy, Engineering, etc.). An advanced degree is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of and background in advocacy and public policy development pertaining to information technology (IT) issues and policies such as cloud computing, IT governance, budget reform, data security, privacy, education, energy, sustainability, procurement, government contracting, cybersecurity, corporate compliance, regulated industries, and taxes.
- Highly effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at highest corporate, state and local government levels.
- Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
- Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization and cultures.
- Capable of working both independently and as part of a broader team with internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in legislative and regulatory proposals, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers.
- Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.